Question - Conditional Drops

Darzil

Developer
When using Mafia, I've seen four different types of drops marked, Normal, Conditional, Pickpocket Only and Non-Pickpocket.

However from playing the game, it looks to me like the categories are closer to Normal, Conditional, Pickpocket Only and On-Death, and that many On-Death ones are marked as Conditional, all On-Death ones being Non-Pickpocketable.

The only reason this becomes interesting to me is that Rave Steal will get Normal and some Conditional items, but no Pickpocket Only or On-Death ones.

At present there seem to be a lot of items that fall into the wrong category (eg the early Sea drops are On-Death, but are marked as Normal, Clockwork Keys are marked Non-Pickpocket, but Rave Steal, which isn't a Pickpocket, doesn't work on them, but On-Death explains it better). A lot of the On-Death ones are marked Conditional, such as Wine Cellar Drops.

Am I misunderstanding something, or is this the result of Rave Steal showing up something that wasn't previously possible to investigate?

So for me it'd be :

Normal - No restrictions
On-Death - Only drops when the monster is killed
Pickpocket Only - Only gettable via Pickpocket
Conditional - Only drops when certain conditions are met (usually quest stage or items equipped)

I think most of the current Conditional and Non-Pickpocket marked items would be replaced by On-Death ones, leaving only a Handful of truely Conditional ones.

Is there any merit to this thinking ?

lostcalpolydude

Developer
Staff member
Why are you creating this on-death category when it's exactly the same as the conditional category? Rave steal only gets normal drops, except during the nemesis quest where there's a special mechanic to make the quest interesting. Rave steal has all of the limitations of pickpocket (one item per fight possible from all types of pickpocketing, limited to normal drops), it's only special in that it guarantees a drop if there's something available and you haven't already pickpocketed an item. I guess your misunderstanding of how this skill works is what led to this thread?

The reason some items aren't in the "right" category is because mafia didn't have those categories when the items were added to it.

Darzil

Developer
I think it's just that for me, when 75% of the appearances of conditional just seem to be on-death, and 100% of the non-pickpocketable's seem to be on-death, and that they are conditional on something that every single character will have at the time (no quest, item etc requirements), that it is a useful distinction.

Incidentally, Rave Steal also has the limititation that it cannot pickpocket a pickpocket only item.