Feature - Rejected Low Priority: Make all daily reset settings use the _ prefix

Rinn

Developer
There are a bunch of settings in mafia from before the underscore prefix was implemented that are reset on a daily basis, moving forward it would be cleaner and more obvious if all daily reset setting use the same standard.

fronobulax

Developer
Staff member
Perhaps you could speed the day when this occurs by listing the dailies that you have noted that are not covered by the new convention?

Bale

Minion
Worth making a list, I'll see which ones I can find...

breakfastCompleted
burrowgrubSummonsRemaining
cocktailSummons
demonSummoned
expressCardUsed
extraRolloverAdventures
grimoire1Summons
grimoire2Summons
lastBarrelSmashed
libramSummons
libraryCardUsed
munchiesPillsUsed
noodleSummons
nunsVisits
oscusSodaUsed
outrageousSombreroUsed
pastamancerGhostSummons
prismaticSummons
rageGlandVented
reagentSummons
seaodesFound
spiceMelangeUsed
styxPixieVisited
tempuraSummons
timesRested
tomeSummons

fronobulax

Developer
Staff member
Thanks. That will help me figure out whether it is the kind of small nit I can (personally) pick.

StDoodle

Minion
I would be okay with having those preferences mirrored for a while, and eventually discontinued. But to simply switch them out from one build to another would cause a LOT of havoc.

lostcalpolydude

Developer
Staff member
Mirroring them wouldn't help because people wouldn't notice the change if they don't read this forum, and when they eventually get discontinued there would be the same issues.

StDoodle

Minion
Well, it would help a little, as a lot of the "modern" scripts use update-checking routines such as zarqon's (or one stolen from his, teehee). Without mirroring, everyone would have to update their scripts at exactly the same time as they switched from pre-underscore to post-underscore builds, which would just be too big of a PITA.

I wonder, would it be possible to code in something such that when one of the soon-to-be-depreciated settings was used, big honkin' warnings printed to the CLI?

Also also, I've given some thought to settings such as this. If they're going to change in such a potentially script-breaking way, I think a bit more should be done than just mixing up some underscores. But I have to go back to work, and don't have time to comb through my notes... :(

fronobulax

Developer
Staff member
And break every script that uses one of those prefs already? I think not...

Question - do well written scripts access the preferences via mafia code or some other mechanic? I've actually rolled out this kind of thing before and it is feasible without breaking things if there is a choke point where all reads can use either name and all writes use the new name. That said, however, it seems to me that the benefits of updating just to follow a convention do not even begin to approach the costs associated with doing it without breaking anything.

jasonharper

Developer
Scripts, well-written or otherwise, have no choice but to access preferences via mafia's provided functions; no other mechanism is possible, the prefs file can't be mapped.

So, allowing access to the legacy daily-reset prefs via two names is certainly possible. Given the nearly infinite number of ways in which limited developer time could be spent on things of the slightest actual use to anyone, this isn't going to happen. End of discussion, as far as I'm concerned.

StDoodle

Minion
Original access has to be via get_property(), yeah. Sometimes those values are saved, if they're going to be re-used, but that's about it.

I swear I once had a really good idea for handling stuff like this that would have made it worth a bit of a re-write from the devs, but I can't remember what it was. And as JH said, without some major benefit, not just the nice-but-not-really-huge consistency thing, it doesn't seem like a good use of time.