Bug - Not A Bug Macintosh version does not follow alias to KoLmafia settings subdirectory

Gdunge

Hi,

I would like to move

~/Library/Application Support/KoLmafia

to

~/Dropbox/Library/Application Support/KoLmafia

so that the Dropbox.com software will keep my KoLmafia settings synchronized across multiple computers.

However, when I move the folder to the Dropbox location and place an alias to the folder into my Library, where KoLmafia expects to find it, KoLmafia quits silently after being launched.

If I have missed some other way of keeping KoLmafia's settings current across multiple machines, please let me know. Thanks!

Edit: Mac OS X 10.4.11, KoLmafia-8355.jar

Last edited:

jasonharper

Developer
You must use a symlink instead of an alias; aliases are only meaningful to the Finder, they aren't valid as a component in the middle of a pathname.

You can create a symlink via ln -s in the Terminal, or there are various utilities that add symlink creation to the Finder's context menu (I've never used any of them, so no specific recommendations).

lostcalpolydude

Developer
Staff member
I found it easier to create symlinks inside the Dropbox folder pointing to everything I wanted rather than moving everything I wanted to back up into the Dropbox folder and making symlinks from the original location.