Bug - Fixed Greater than Sign default goal

Status
Not open for further replies.

adeyke

The default goal for the Greater than Sign shows up for me as "1 plus sign, +1 steaming evil".

Last edited by a moderator:

Bale

Minion
I called it first!

Now we'll have people popping in here to complain about the buggy default condition because you're so considerate. This is one of those times when going above and beyond to help people will net you a headache more than gratitude.

adeyke

I read a lot of the SVN changes but apparently skipped that one. So again, I'm sorry for wasting your time.

StDoodle

Minion
Isn't there already precedent (could swear I've seen it, but can't recall an example) of a choice adv. goal being "do x once, then do y?" If so, it seems like this might be a good way to go for the DoD (goal plus sign first instance if not in inventory, then teleportitis), as I doubt this will be the first confusion over having a "steaming evil" goal.

slyz

Developer
That would be a good setting for the zone's noncombat settings, but I can't remember anything like this in the goals. By the way, Mafia automatically gets the plus sign instead of following the noncombat settings if the plus sign is in the goal?

StDoodle

Minion
By the way, Mafia automatically gets the plus sign instead of following the noncombat settings if the plus sign is in the goal?

Yup; see linked thread (above) for details.

Edit to add; which is also why my earlier idea wouldn't work, if you want to go for the Oracle... hmm... that is a PITA, isn't it?

slyz

Developer
What is not the case exactly? Does Mafia not get the plus sign when it's a goal, or does Mafia not automatically stop when you meet the Oracle?

Veracity

Developer
Staff member
Revision 8296 says:
The idea is that you would leave the choice adventure set to the option that gives you Teleportitis. Adventuring here will get the plus sign on the first choiceadv (because the goal overrides the setting), then get Teleportitis on the second, and continue until the Oracle is found - which is a stop adventure.
Looking at ChoiceManager - even the version submitted in 8296 - I don't understand how "the goal overrides the setting" for choice adventure 451; I'd expect to see special code in specialChoiceDecision to actually override the setting based on the conditions, much as we have for choices 26 and 27, to navigate to the correct corpse in the spooky forest to get an item condition.

Jason?

jasonharper

Developer
Goals have always overridden your choice settings, as far as I know - code is in ChoiceManager.pickOutfitChoice(). Unfortunately, the mechanism currently only supports a single, directly-obtained item per choice, there's no concept of a choice that can lead to multiple possible items (which would have made the Spooky Forest handling much simpler!). Improving that is on my todo list.

Theraze

You're still able to visit the greater than sign even after you've unlocked the dungeons of doom... Well, mafia thinks you're visiting the greater than sign, at least...

shazbot

Incorrect. I adventured in greater than sign passed when I got the plus sign and after I had the oracle visit. Mafia never used the plus sign, so greater than sign never became dungeon of doom until I manually stopped and then used the plus sign.

Veracity

Developer
Staff member
Did you tell it to use the plus sign when it stopped adventuring at "The Oracle Will See You Now"?

No?

So sorry.

slyz

Developer
The problem is that Mafia didn't auto-stop, apparently.

You were simply auto-adventuring from the Mafia window, right? No fancy script or anything?

shazbot

Did you tell it to use the plus sign when it stopped adventuring at "The Oracle Will See You Now"?

No?

So sorry.

No, I didn't tell it to use the plus sign when it stopped adventuring at "The Oracle Will See You Now" because mafia never stopped at "The Oracle Will See You Now". Just because you're a developer doesn't mean you have to be a dick.

@slyz correct

Status
Not open for further replies.