Mafia stopped working, and I'm out of ideas.

szepherd

So... I went on vacation over christmas, and before I left, I cut the power to everything in the apt to save energy. I changed NOTHING ELSE. When I got home, I switched on the power, tried to run Mafia, and... nothing. Tried the .jar file... and nothing. Didn't run, didn't give an error message... nothing.

I was going to upgrade this machine to windows 7 anyway, so I didn't try too hard to fix it. So, I reinstalled windows, then java, and tried again... nothing.

I tried running the .jar file manually from the command line and got an "ExceptionInInitializerError" thrown.

Re-downloaded the mafia .exe and latest .jar file... same thing.
Uninstalled and re-installed java... same thing.
Finally, re-installed XP... same thing.

In the course of upgrading and backing up data, I discovered that the motherboard's USB controller was failing, and installed a new PCI USB controller. NOTHING else was changed as far as hardware.

It seems to be just Mafia that's affected. Java in the web browser works fine.

At this point, I'm out of ideas about how to fix this. Anybody have any suggestions? My next step is switching out the whole motherboard, but I'd like very much to avoid that.

-Szepherd

szepherd

This is the error:

>java -jar kolmafia-7960.jar
Exception in thread "main" java.lang.ExceptionInInitializerError
at net.sourceforge.kolmafia.AdventureResult.<init>(AdventureResult.java:208)
at net.sourceforge.kolmafia.KoLmafia.main(KoLmmafia.java:330)
Caused by: java.land.ArrayIndexOutOfBoundsException: -2
at net.sourceforge.kolmafia.persistance.HolidayDatabase.statDay(HolidayDatabase.java:889)
at net.sourceforge.kolmafia.persistance.ItemDatabase.reset(ItemDatabase.java:226)
at net.sourceforge.kolmafia.persistance.ItemDatabase.<clinit>(ItemDatabase.java:212)
... 2 more

jasonharper

Developer
Is it possible that your computer's clock is set profoundly wrong (as in, 2005 or earlier)? That looks like the only likely explanation for this problem.

holatuwol

Developer
Also to check, are you running a 32-bit JRE or a 64-bit JRE? The 64-bit one has some really strange quirks that KoLmafia isn't designed to handle.

szepherd

>.<

...January 9, 2002!

Fixed the date and everything works fine. Thanks so much for the help! You guys are the best.

Raven434

Also to check, are you running a 32-bit JRE or a 64-bit JRE? The 64-bit one has some really strange quirks that KoLmafia isn't designed to handle.

I am running 64-bit vista and when I had the 64-bit JRE installed it blew chunks pretty frequently - like multiple times per day.

When I yanked it and put the 32-bit JRE in, the applications hangs were reduced to maybe 1x a week or less.

Made a huge difference.

I see the date was the issue, but I post this for the folks running 64-bit Vista.