[SORTA-REQUEST] kitycore anti-mistake

ammy55

is there a kittycore mistake prevention script (i.e doesn't let you adventure without black cat)
if it dosn't exist would it be hard to create one (i don't think it would be hard i just don't know how to write scripts)

my best guess at how it would work would be

when you try to adventure check if black cat is equiped
if its true it continues with the adventure
if its false then it equips the black cat and checks again

i'm sorry if any of this is unclear

Bale

Minion
By "strictly enforce" you mean that it won't let you make a mistake in automated adventuring. Unfortunately that won't prevent any errors if you use the relay browser. I use the relay browser 95% of the time and I suspect many others do also.

Spiny

Allegedly this greasemonkey script will nag you if you don't have your intended 100% run familiar active. But I've never tried it myself and it is Greasemonkey so it may not be useful to you.

Edit: In afterthought, it is possible you'd have to tweak the Included Pages so that it affects the pages provided by mafia's relay browser as well as vanilla KoL connections. Ie for any listed page that begins with *kingdomofloathing.com/(referenced page)* add an entry to match it that says h t t p://127.0.0.1:60*/(referenced page)* This is assuming it's not there already.

Spaces in http added to avoid being turned into a bad url.

Last edited:

lostcalpolydude

Developer
Staff member
Allegedly this greasemonkey script will nag you if you don't have your intended 100% run familiar active. But I've never tried it myself and it is Greasemonkey so it may not be useful to you.

Edit: In afterthought, it is possible you'd have to tweak the Included Pages so that it affects the pages provided by mafia's relay browser as well as vanilla KoL connections. Ie for any listed page that begins with *kingdomofloathing.com/(referenced page)* add an entry to match it that says h t t p://127.0.0.1:60*/(referenced page)* This is assuming it's not there already.

Spaces in http added to avoid being turned into a bad url.

It's already set up to run in the relay browser.

zarqon

If it makes you feel better, I'm the guy who wrote one of those scripts and I flubbed my last Kittycore effort WITH ONLY ONE COMBAT ADVENTURE LEFT. Be careful when training tower familiars.

ammy55

@zargon i know that's a major fear for me so i plan to buff using pet snacks, knob goblin spray and the hippy arena buff instant win

@drainge09 more people will see your post if you make a new thread for it don't just piggy back on this one

SilentKnight

I've started working on something for this, of course I could use a lot more help/reference material because I can't seem to get the details right.

right now it should fix things whenever you go to adventure.php without your cat

if you adventure without the familiar or its hatchling it forces you into the noob cave, and then next attempt to adventure it should use your terrarium and kitten (fingers crossed)

it's got a whole lot of room for flaws, but if I make a copy for shore.ash, tower.ash, and whatnot it should be usable for a single kittycore run I think?

I do need a complete list of which adventure locations don't use adventure.php though...
shore, tower, guild, hiddencity, dungeon, cellar, barrel, cave, basement (better safe than sorry) .......

(edit: my options were 'insert inline' and 'done' so... wasn't sure..)
so quick, so dirty, need so much more reference material.. I don't even know how to set the 100% familiar to a variable, tho I suspect that if I pour closely over the between combat script I can figure out *that* detail

this is my first attempt at scripting beyond editing slimeling.ash

Attachments

• adventure.ash
    3.5 KB · Views: 71
Last edited:

Theraze

A quick warning... the developers are under the belief that kittycore should be painful. As such, anything for the code aimed at making kittycore easier is likely to get shot down/rejected... though if this is a script instead of code change, you have the benefit of not needing approval...

First suggestion? Don't put your attachments inline. I didn't find it until after I'd read your message for the third or fourth time.

First script tip... if you're hijacking adventure.php, you can't redirect people back to adventure.php. That's why your 'get_cat()' bit doesn't work. Also, you probably don't want to abort just to throw the message. Equipping a new familiar already updates the gCLI with that change, and your abort won't show up where you can see it in the relay browser anyways, so you either end up with a double message, or cancelling any automation you actually want to have happening.

A question about how relay scripts work... hasn't the page already been loaded by the time the relay scripts are called? As such, isn't it too late to call the relay script to change your familiar once adventure is called and you're already in a battle? I'd almost think you'd want it (the familiar check) tied into either the charpane, or possibly main, so that you get it when you first pop the browser...

Veracity

Developer
Staff member
"The developers" believe that, eh? Huh. Can you show me where I said that, please? Or, perhaps you mean the KoL developers...

Speaking for myself, it's a matter of not wanting to spend my time adding a feature which I can't fully test and will never use myself to help people with a run that they will do exactly once per character. In other words, it's about REDUCING pain - my own.

Theraze

Well, Bale said he was quoting you here... maybe he was misquoting you? He didn't say it was about reducing your pain, it was about not reducing the pain to the users. At least, that's how I interpretted it. :) That being said, he didn't give the original quote, and you're the one he was quoting, so... I won't refer to it anymore if it's not accurate. :)

Bale

Minion
I was referring to something you said on the subject back on the old bug tracker so I can't point to the reference. It's possible that my memory is faulty, but I'm pretty sure you said that. It might be that you were referring to your own pain and I misunderstood you or that you were just referring to how you felt at the moment something annoying was proposed.

Veracity

Developer
Staff member
Well, I have always felt that it's not worth coding special support for doing a run that nobody is going to do more than once that really isn't THAT hard to get right. On the other hand, it's just a special case of a 10%% familiar run, which some people do with some regularity. I've done 30 myself and got a trophy and just recently did another with the Hippo Ballerina. Once I pulled myself together and got out of thinking "what familiar should I use now? Oh, leave my current one in place, duh", it was painless.

The main difficulty in supporting something like that is figuring out a good user interface for you to declare that this run is going to be 100% for a particular familiar. The Black Cat would then be an extra wrinkle because you wouldn't already have a Black Cat.

Well, -I'm- under the belief that the Black Cat run should be painful (having failed at -the- last moment once myself, that's saying something). Though support for 100% runs (or even 90%) would be nice, even if it's just a tracker (current tracking methods that I'm aware of are imperfect) and not something that enforces it. Having it enforce it would be pretty awesome though.
As for:
The Black Cat would then be an extra wrinkle because you wouldn't already have a Black Cat.
You could just have the user wait till they find the black cat and -then- they could choose it via whatever user interface you'd have set up. Because in all seriousness, if you fail a kittycore run -before- getting the black cat, then you kinda deserve it.

... is in zlib.

Does zlib accurately track familiar usage?

The script I'm currently using makes a nice guess based on familiar kills, and optionally (with use of a logout script) counts free runaways, but combats lost or ran away from (as well as possibly other overlooked scenarios) aren't properly counted.

Winterbay

Well, no but zlib lets you set a familiar to use 100% of the time and BBB then uses that to make sure that every adventure is made with said familiar. Not that between battle scripts fire between battles in the relay browser but anyway... (at least this is the way I think Fluxxdog meant, I may be completely wrong)