Scripting tutorial(s)

codster62

Hi, I am Cody, and I have been trying to learn how to script. I looked on the web, and all I could find was something on basic scripting for kolmafia. Do I need to know Java to do these scripts? Somebody help please. I am very interested in trying to make specific bots and whatnot. Thanks...

codster62

I was more or less looking for an advanced .ASH scripting tutorial that will show more examples then the one in Xlypher's tutorial. That is more or less what I am looking for... I have really been eager to create some of my own advanced scripting...

mredge73

This one help a bunch when getting started, it shows the items types and how to create a basic and advanced map:
http://kolmafia.sourceforge.net/advanced.html

The best help that I got were from user created scripts found here in the forums. I think I have every script in these forums downloaded in a file somewhere. If I have a question on how to do something first I browse through the ones that I have, if that does not help then I ask questions.

What is your programing experience? Knowledge of Java is not necessary but some upper level programming is probably necessary. If you don't have any I would recommend you pick up a cheap teach yourself programming book somewhere. It really does not matter what language, I trained in C++ and made the transition to ash pretty easily.

A few more things that helped me:
Type this in the CLI and copy/paste the result in a file for reference:

help
ashref

Download the source code for mafia and in the data folder you will find all of the item maps that Mafia uses internally, this helps a bunch on how to spell items correctly, zap groups, recipes, etc.

codster62

Well, since I am 14, I am kind of busy thus limited to the time I have to learn programming. But, I have learned some of Visual Basic Coding, A little bit of C#, and not much of Java at all. If you have a link I can use that will help me learn the Coding I need to script, it is much appreciated. Thanks Mr. Edge.