Is there a place in this forum for KoLMafia questions?

jim

Because I have one and don't know where to ask it. In particular, I wanted to ask what it means in the autorecovery menu to choose "Autorecover HP to 0%"

I'm hoping it means, just use the recovery method suggested and don't try and reach any target. I suppose I could just try it out and see if it works. Still, the forum should have a place to ask such questions, don't you think?

macman104

[quote author=Alexander Daychilde link=topic=214.msg1083#msg1083 date=1150238616]I've pondered asking if they'd like a KoLMafia forum, but I'm guessing they might not... OTOH, if they read this and want one, they can let me know and I'd be glad to do it (even register one of the other kolmafia.* domains if they wanted)
[/quote]I'm gonna wager a guess, and say probably not, because as it stands, there are already multiple places where questions/bugs are fielded and posted (sourceforge, dev forums, KoL forums). I can only imagine if another place were created, that'd just mean one more place to check. I'm just guessing, but yea. Your best bet is to use the official KoLmafia thread on the KoL forums.

[quote author=jim link=topic=214.msg1082#msg1082 date=1150237063]
Because I have one and don't know where to ask it.  In particular, I wanted to ask what it means in the autorecovery menu to choose "Autorecover HP to 0%"

I'm hoping it means, just use the recovery method suggested and don't try and reach any target.  I suppose I could just try it out and see if it works.  Still, the forum should have a place to ask such questions, don't you think?
[/quote]

Honestly I have no clue as to what the effect of setting up auto restore to restore to 0% would be.

For the other part of the question, I kind of think that having a section for questions about kolmafia itself might be a good idea. Having a list of titles to look through in the "Questions about kolmafia" board might give someone their answer before they ever ask the question, and may even bring up the answers to peoples questions they never knew they had.

When I introduced my sister to kolmafia she didn't know auto restore existed. She didn't notice the item manager or even the mini browser (version 6.0 no tabs). She thought all it could do was adventure. When her HP was below 50% she would close kolmafia and login in IE to use a scroll of drastic healing. Then it was back to kolmafia. She felt pretty silly when I showed her. There's a question answered that she never knew she had until I answered it.

I really don't think this warrants a completely new forum, but could easily fit into this forum as a new board (a sort of expansion). If someone brought up a bug report type question, we would then point them to the main kolmafia thread or other appropriate location to sort it out, but if they ask how to make kolmafia turn the giant wheel to the moxie position we could answer the question.

I would say that a separate, and probably under used, forum for all things mafia related that are not scripting related would be useful.

I remember posting up a bug report about mafia acting weird with imported scripts. Sure, it was scripting related... But just barely.

A board we could use to inform each other about problems, and quirks could be useful for us. Whatever it may do for the Mafia development team.

NOTE: I am not suggesting that the forum should replace the usual bug reporting route. I am just saying that a place to alert other users of the new "features" could be useful.

Just my $0.02... You can keep the change. :p

Tirian

As a tester, I can assure you that problems reported to the KoL forums do make themselves known in the private dev forum. Most of the time, they are reported in the dev forum first (which isn't surprising, since we are using the SVN codebase to a larger degree than anyone else).

Based on that, I'd be reluctant to add a new way to "just" report bugs. It seems like it would double the number of places that the devs would have to look for problems, and at the same time it would give users the feeling that to "really" report their problems would require mentioning it in both places.

At the same time, script-related discussion of bugs seems like a really good idea. This is an ideal place to say: "Hey, KoLmafia isn't recognizing my S.O.C.K. any more. Is this a temporary or a permanent problem, and in either case has anyone come up with a workaround for it so that their scripts still work?" Or "Now that the reagents have all changed names but the old item numbers are still mostly accurate, how should I handle modifying my scripts so that I can continue to use my 100% moxie-boosting reagent potion when I want to?"

holatuwol

Developer
Veracity thought it would be a good idea to have a KoLmafia forum here to report scripting-specific issues, and my opinion is neutral; I'm not a very active participant here, and as long as it's understood that the forum is for answers from the community, you're more than welcome to create it.

As for the second question, setting your auto-restore target to a value equal to or less than your trigger is equivalent to having auto-restore off.  In this case, if they're both zero, KoLmafia will pretend there's no auto-restore.  KoLmafia used to ensure that the two values satisfied all restrictions, but that check was removed since it really wasn't serving any purpose.

Veracity

Developer
Staff member
I'm no longer interested in having a fourth place to look at for bug reports or suggestions. I don't have the time. However, this IS a distinct (if overlapping) community from those who post on the main KoL board or the developer forum or sourceforge.

The first is any and all KoLmafia users.
The second is those who can build from the source and are willing to try out possibly broken alpha code.
The third seems to be mostly anonymous (and often rude and demanding) people who, although they are at the site that hosts the source, don't necessarily build from the latest source.
And here is where KoLmafia users with a special interest in scripting come.

If you feel a special sense of camaraderie with the people here, then sure - a forum where you can discuss your larger questions and issues with KoLmafia whether or not they are scripting related seems perfectly reasonable. As holatuwol put it, a place where the COMMUNITY will answer questions and discuss things.[br]Posted on: June 15, 2006, 11:02:41 AM
[quote author=Veracity link=topic=214.msg1094#msg1094 date=1150387361]The third seems to be mostly anonymous (and often rude and demanding) people who, although they are at the site that hosts the source, don't necessarily build from the latest source.[/quote]

Here's an example of (amazingly enough) a not-anonymous "bug report" from sourceforge.

Submitted By: Rich Ramsden (ramsden)
Assigned to: Nobody/Anonymous (nobody)
Summary: pre-requisite Not found

I write adaptive software.  It needs to deal with changes in a UI.
WHY!!! do you bother checking!  just go!
Are you afraid mommy will say no?
Just GO THERE!!!!

Quit trying to write clever code - that only ends up being stupid.

Fix the basic adv in ALL areas, before you even start on the food changes.  You obviously don't work on special areas, the NS familiars have been broken for months.

Since I was unable to find an actual "bug report" in this rant (something about the NS familiars ... I think ... which have ALWAYS worked for me), I closed it.

If he wants to open a new bug report with actual details about what he thinks doesn't work - ways to reproduce it, what he did, what he expected, what happened - and will write it up without abusive flaming, then I'll be happy to try and diagnose and fix it.

But it's this kind of thing which makes me think we have too many places to "officially" report bugs already.

- The main KoL forums have note after note after repeated note from people reporting the same bug the person two notes up reported - AFTER we make some sort of "official" response acknowledging the problem and saying we've fixed it and often giving a workaround.

- In the developer forum, people at least read the previous notes and don't tend to make completely duplicate bug reports.

- On sourceforge, people are often flaming assholes who sometimes reopen the same bug report even if it was a pure user error and we patiently explained their misunderstanding the first time.

I don't want another place to report bugs or ask for official support. I'm feeling  tired and drained. Enough, already.

macman104

[quote author=Alexander Daychilde link=topic=214.msg1097#msg1097 date=1150402252]
First of all, what a complete asshole! I would love to be close enough to that idiot to go to their house, knock on their door, and when they answer, slap the shit out of them. Assholes like that need to be banned. Period.[/quote]Ya know, I was thinking, we did just get those nice 'ol bricks in game :)

[quote author=Alexander Daychilde link=topic=214.msg1106#msg1106 date=1150405032]
Well, except that unlike real life, people *want* to be bricked in KoL of course. ;D
[/quote]

That, and the ever troublesome - "we arm those we want to harm..."

Kind of ruins the fun, no? >: )

OK I was away for a bit, and I come back to see quite a series of posts. OK so now I want to rant a little. (edited to remove mature content) like the one described should not be allowed internet access. Gaining their IP address, then tracing it to their ISP you can then contact their ISP and complain about them. If their ISP gets enough complaints from different people then their ISP will shut them down. That is what the (edited to remove mature content) described above deserves.