Trapper mining quest crazyness

[quote author=holatuwol link=topic=151.msg808#msg808 date=1147773467]
KoLmafia v7.2+ allows for external URLs (it's how it manages to retrieve the simulator code from Ayvuir's website); however, it submits everything as a post request rather than as a get request. So, the problem I see off-hand is that you're looking at the wrong set of global variables in your .php file?
[/quote]

Calling of external URLs allows for users to execute external commands via a script if they really know what they are doing! That totally opens kolmafia up to a wide variety of new abilities which a lot of people want. An example would be handling the trapper mining quest.
They could simply write up an external script to read kolmafia's log to find out what type of ore the trapper wants, then the external script would write/modify a script which would do the entire mining quest.
The series within the ash script would be to visit the trapper, call the external script, call the script that the external script wrote/modified, then set the quest flag stating the mine quest is complete.
That would be such a complete waste of time to write up, but someone who really wants to script an entire ascention, it is definitely possible.

Nightmist

[quote author=cjswimmer link=topic=167.msg828#msg828 date=1147898226]
shhhh.... every time the possibility of a full ascension script is mentioned, God kills a kitten.
[/quote]

You mean a more efficient full ascension script? Because I can tell you now full ascension scripts were easily scripted since the URL thing was added...

Honestly, if someone knew enough about the various ways to get kolmafia to script an entire ascention, then they probably wouldn't bother with kolmafia.

Holatuwol wrote a program to interface with KOL, and there is nothing stopping someone else from doing it too. If someone were to read this thread that knew enough to actually write it, then they would know enough to realize that they might as well just write their own little program to achieve their goals.

As for me, I just accept the limitations of kolmafia because they don't really have an effect on me. I play the game myself, and mostly use kolmafia for those tedious repetitive tasks, and babysitting. Most of the ideas I post are simply fuel for thought and discussion, and really in my mind a complete waste of effort to implement.