Monster Manuel checker

ckb

Minion
Staff member
Note this has been superceded by a better and more complete script here:http://kolmafia.us/showthread.php?11282-Monster-Manuel-checker-2
-ckb 10/23/2012

To satisfy my obsessive collecting and hunting, I created a Monster Manuel Checker script (monmancheck.ash).
This will collect and compare your Manuel entries vs. known entries and give a report on what you are missing and what you have collected. It also will export a map data file to data/monmandata.txt for easily sorting / highlighting / obsessing over.
Collected monsters are printed in green, with a number from 1-3, depending on how much info you have collected. A number of 0 indicates no info collected, and those are in red.

Some issues:
  • This is not perfect, but it’s pretty good. I assume BCC will make something like this and do it better, so I don’t know that I will ever strive for that 100% completeness.
  • The data file also spits out locations for the monsters (for sorting). This is also imperfect, but probably good enough for most.
  • Some monsters are screwy because there are multiple types of the same name that are different. See animated nightstands and gremlins. I do nothing special here, so be aware.
  • The Current / new way of getting monster names does not handle Fern's basement monsters correctly.
  • This takes a long time to run. Wait a few minutes. It will print ‘DONE!’ when it is complete.

v1.0: 9/25/2012, initial release
v1.1: 9/26/2012, fix 0 < count < 3 datafile isues (thanks palpitations)
v1.2: 9/26/2012, update to use $monsters[] instead of wiki text

Attachments

• monmancheck.ash
    8 KB · Views: 116
Last edited:

bumcheekcity

A neat little script, I have to say I very much like it. Do you mind if I essentially crib some of it for the snapshot script?

ckb

Minion
Staff member
BCC - take anything and everything you want. I have definitely stolen more than my fair share from your scripts :)

lostcalpolydude

Developer
Staff member
I haven't looked at the script yet, but is using a monster list from the wiki better than using $monsters[] to take advantage of all monsters mafia knows about (another list you don't have to maintain)?

ckb

Minion
Staff member
I haven't looked at the script yet, but is using a monster list from the wiki better than using $monsters[] to take advantage of all monsters mafia knows about (another list you don't have to maintain)?

When I started this script, I was using $monsters[], but the mafia list is just a bit different from the one kol uses for the monster manuel. Different enough that it totally sucks balls. There are differences in capitalization, prefixes, suffixes, and some small symbol issues. The wiki version is generaly pulled directly from the game text, so it tends to match much better. The script is mostly based on a lot of string comparisons... at least to identify the missing monsters.

As I gather more monsters, I am learning about more issues and missing bits. The relay checker is actually really good for this, because it is very evident when a monster name is different than expected.

palpitations

Just a heads up -- anything that doesn't have a count of 0 or 3 isn't showing up in the data/monmandata.txt file for me. I am seeing things in the CLI with 1s and 2s, but there is no trace of them in that file. Loading it as a spreadsheet and sorting by count confirms there is only 0 and 3 listed.

It's still been very helpful, thanks!

lostcalpolydude

Developer
Staff member
When I started this script, I was using $monsters[], but the mafia list is just a bit different from the one kol uses for the monster manuel. Different enough that it totally sucks balls. There are differences in capitalization, prefixes, suffixes, and some small symbol issues.

to_monster( string ) would take care of that for you.

ckb

Minion
Staff member
to_monster( string ) would take care of that for you.

Not eactly, because of some names of monsters (with parentheticals), but I make an update to just drop that part of the monstername, and convert everything to lowercase. Seems a bit nicer. Updated in v1.2

Crowther

I just noticed this script. Thanks charred, for bumping the threat. It seems I've been recreating the wheel with my own version. My version's pretty targeted at what I wanted. A quick list of places to adventure and get more facts. This one is much better for someone who's trying to get as close to 100% facts as possible.

ckb

Minion
Staff member
I am past the 90% mark (I think) on my factoids, and now the hard to find ones are all that are left. I have a few support scripts and some improvements in the works to try and get better results, and get closer to the 100% mark (or at least 99%). This probably involves creating a custom datafile that is read at load time, with some more specific info about each monster, to get around the cases of same monster name and such.
Stay tuned... my time to work on this has been limited, but I am making progress.

ckb