Settings Overwritten?

Raven434

Hi,

Another thing I noticed, probably about every 3-4 daily build releases, my settings file GLOBAL_prefs.txt either partially gets munged or is completely smoked and I have to go back through and set it up again.

Is this normal that the file basically gets reset back to it default values?

Thanks.

dangerpin

I have not had that experience, no it is not normal. If I were you I would make a backup copy of your settings directory and restore it when necessary. I have the opposite problem, I have preference settings from so long ago that I'm not sure some of them can even BE changed from the Mafia interface anymore. I am forced (yeaaaah, right) to carry a copy of Mafia and all my settings around on a flashdrive as I can no longer happily play from a default install.

Happily this also acts as my backup.

The real question is what is causing this to happen. What OS are you running again?

Raven434

[quote author=dangerpin link=topic=1450.msg6680#msg6680 date=1200533505]
I have not had that experience, no it is not normal. If I were you I would make a backup copy of your settings directory and restore it when necessary. I have the opposite problem, I have preference settings from so long ago that I'm not sure some of them can even BE changed from the Mafia interface anymore. I am forced (yeaaaah, right) to carry a copy of Mafia and all my settings around on a flashdrive as I can no longer happily play from a default install.

Happily this also acts as my backup.

The real question is what is causing this to happen. What OS are you running again?
[/quote]

Windoze XP Pro. Only the global file gets borked. The inidividual prefs always are left unmolested.

dangerpin

That is extremely odd. The last time I remember the program itself borking the global prefs where it wasn't fixed up was waaaay back many versions ago, so I doubt that the program itself is causing it if you aren't doing anything strange like using some mafia add-in like the short-lived MMG add-ins. I suppose it could be a bad HD, but I would expect to see corruption in other files. A chkdsk might be in order, also I know some Antivirus and Antispyware programs get a bit testy about java programs of late. You might want to see if there are exclusion settings you can take advantage of to tell any of those programs to leave your mafia folders alone. While you are at it, you might want to initiate a spyware sweep, I doubt you would only see effects in the one file, but it would be nice to rule it out.

How do you update? Do you use do it from the CLI or just grab daily updates from this site, or do you use SVN?

That is all my brain can come up with.

kain

[quote author=dangerpin link=topic=1450.msg6680#msg6680 date=1200533505]
I am forced (yeaaaah, right) to carry a copy of Mafia and all my settings around on a flashdrive as I can no longer happily play from a default install. [/quote]
I carry around Mafia on a flash drive so "technically" I don't "install" anything on my work computer!