Feature Track flyeredML for hippy and frat separately

ckb

Minion
Staff member
Currently, during the Island War, the total monster level from using either rock band flyers or jam band flyers is combined into a single property 'flyeredML'
KoL itself requires the total ML to be the sum of a specific flyer (either rock band or jam band) and it tracks the totals separately. It would be nice if Mafia could track these as well.
I propose 2 new properties to track jamBandFlyeredML and rockBandFlyeredML.
The existing flyeredML would stay as the total of jamBandFlyeredML + rockBandFlyeredML

MCroft

Developer
Staff member
Hmm. I think we'd want the flyeredML to be Max(jamBandFlyeredML, rockBandFlyeredML). Would that break anything?

Is there any use to the player to know that they've flyered 1000 things total when they've flyered 250 jamBand and 750 rockBand? I can't think of any, but that's just me. I'd want it to be 750.

fronobulax

Developer
Staff member
Once upon a time it was not possible to have both types of flyers simultaneously.
  • Is my memory shot?
  • Has the game changed?
  • Is the claim that KoL tracks flyers separately (and both could be non-zero) incorrect?
  • Is there some niche case where both sets are available?

ckb

Minion
Staff member
It is indeed possible to get both flyers at the same time. Generally this will only happen if you do the war as a hippy.
If you have the Frat Warrior Fatigues, you can get the rock band flyers at any time after the war starts.
If you have the War Hippy Fatigues, you can get the jam band flyers when the Arena opens after 458 kills.
If you do the frat war, you probably finish flyering before you start the war - so this is a non-issue. As a hippy, you might end up with both types of flyers.
In my last run as a war hippy (required now to hunt all factoids) I ended up using the rock band flyers for a bit before I got the jam band flyers. When Mafia told me that flyeredML > 10000, the Arena quest was not able to be completed for either side, because that total was some mix of rock band and jam band. Hence this feature request.

@MCroft I expect Max(jamBandFlyeredML, rockBandFlyeredML) would be ore useful than jamBandFlyeredML + rockBandFlyeredML, but the latter option is how it works now. I also cannot envision any situation where that would be ore useful.

fronobulax

Developer
Staff member
It is indeed possible to get both flyers at the same time. Generally this will only happen if you do the war as a hippy.
If you have the Frat Warrior Fatigues, you can get the rock band flyers at any time after the war starts.
If you have the War Hippy Fatigues, you can get the jam band flyers when the Arena opens after 458 kills.

That was once not true, at least in my memory.

But since it is true then tracking them separately seems reasonable. You would presumably look at both to decide which flyer to use in combat and eventually which one to turn in.

I don't know whether it is better to keep flyeredML to be the sum or make it the max. It doesn't matter if there is only one type of flyer and it is useless for figuring out which flyer to use or which quest to turn in. So I guess I do care and think it should remain as the sum since a script has to use new values to make useful decisions.

MCroft

Developer
Staff member
I recall some amount of past confusion including my own when the flyeredML was > 10000 but quest could not be completed. Thread here, and I don't think anything ever came of it. It's possible that it was an addition error, although it really looks like 3 different errors all related to ML multipliers counted incorrectly.

But as long as we updated FightRequest().canRockFlyer and FightRequest.canJamFlyer to only look at the appropriate count, the code doesn't care so much.

We'd probably also want to show both in RequestEditorKit.advertisingMessage(),

Something like
Java:
return "You have completed "
+ KoLConstants.FLOAT_FORMAT.format(jamPercent)
+ "% of the Jam Band advertising and
+ KoLConstants.FLOAT_FORMAT.format(rockPercent)
+ "% of the Rock Band advertising."

And once we have both variables, the scripters can change to it if they want to.

Which is to say, I don't think it's doing the right thing now, but I don't think that strongly enough to argue to change it as long as the raw data is there to let scripts ignore the wrong value that we continue to provide in the existing pref.

Last edited:
Reactions: ckb