Synchronizing Multiple Accounts

philmasterplus

Is there a mafia feature or ASH script that synchronizes chat/combat macros, chat colors, interface options and other in-game preferences between multiple accounts? I was going to write a script myself but would be glad to receive some help as how to do it.

fronobulax

Developer
Staff member
What do you mean? Global prefs are already common. Are you imagining the ability to logically separate user prefs into two classes - game play style and game play events - and have something that changes all of the play style prefs in user file B so that they are the same as the play style prefs in user file A?

If that is the case I'm not aware of anything that does that other than deleting the files and letting mafia recreate them with the same defaults. This, of course, has the side effect of losing or resetting all of the game play events which is usually not what is wanted.

I suspect it would not be too difficult to write something that read a file with preference name, value pairs and then set the preference to that value for the logged in account. That effectively makes certain user preferences global.

Given that this is just a straight text substitution, it might make more sense to do it outside of mafia.

If the preference files allow for multiple instances of a preference then you could do this on a one time basis by appending the desired preferences to the end of the user preferences and running mafia once. It would presumably read the file, update the preferences with the "last" value from the file and then write it out.

This suggests to me that you might want to focus the question by generating a list of the preferences to be synchronized.

philmasterplus

lost's and fronobulax's assumptions are correct; I'd like to synchronize all my accounts so that they display the same chat colors for each channel, and use the same set of chat macros and combat macros.
Guess I'll have to do it myself.

Dudicle

Sweet!

I don't think I've seen anything coded for this.

I see the utility of this. It's a pain to set this up across multiple accounts. I don't have ten accounts like some on here, but two and my wife's account that she sometimes has me babysit. It'd be nice to not be disoriented when I log in.

I'm brand-new to ash scripting, but this looks like a tackle-able project!

~Dudicle

philmasterplus

Hey, folks. I've been writing the script ever since, and it is turning into a full-blown KoL options API :)

One question, though: since KoL uses the Manage Contact List pane to also handle the ignore list, I'm making the getAcquaintanceList() function return both the contact and the ignore list as well. However, I am dissatisfied with the word "acquaintance," being rather long and difficult to type. Do you think naming the function getContactList() would be okay, or that "acquaintance" is fine? Could you please suggest a good alternative for "acquaintance"? I could use "associate," but I don't like it since it remindes me of associative arrays rather than contact lists.

If KoL had used Friend Lists and Ignore Lists, instead of Contact Lists and Ignore Lists, I wouldn't be fussing over this.