SVN updates since January 2024

fronobulax

Developer
Staff member
GitHub no longer supports updating a GitHub hosted script via SVN.

This can create problems when KoLmafia attempts to update all of the SVN scripts.

To keep the "update all" functionality from failing (and stopping other things) it should be disabled by changing the GLOBAL setting svnUpdateOnLogin to false. Then use the Scripts menu to update the scripts of your choice manually and individually. This is definitely an inconvenience for users of some scripts that have always been hosted on SourceForge and updated via SVN but that is not going to be fixed anytime soon.

The cli command "checksvngit" can be used to identify scripts that are hosted on GitHub but installed via SVN. Some of these scripts have been "migrated" and are now using git. If that seems to be the case then the SVN version should be manually uninstalled and the git version manually installed. A user can choose to manually install a GitHub script via git (after uninstalling the SVN version) but this may break updating if the author makes some decisions about hosting.

The cli command "checkrepo" might also be useful as it attempts to identify scripts that have been installed by both git and SVN.

fronobulax

Developer
Staff member
I manually installed Ezandora-Gain from GitHub but some SVN updates would then try and install Gain via SVN.

Ezandora-FantasyRealm and Ezandora-PirateRealm are both updated via SVN and I have not experimented with manually installing them via git.

xKiv

Most scripts I can just go something like, for example:

svn delete Ezandora-Bastille
git checkout Ezandora/Bastille Release

but I found one script where svn allowed checking out a subfolder, which is something can't figure out with git:
original: svn checkout https://github.com/mikebryant/kolmafia-lar-forecasting/branches/master/src/
git: ???

also when I did svn update, it tried updating Ezandora-Detective-Solver from svn, even though that's one of the scripts I deleted from svn and installed with git earlier (in the same kolmafia session, I haven't tried exiting and running again yet)

MCroft

Developer
Staff member
Most scripts I can just go something like, for example:

svn delete Ezandora-Bastille
git checkout Ezandora/Bastille Release

but I found one script where svn allowed checking out a subfolder, which is something can't figure out with git:
original: svn checkout https://github.com/mikebryant/kolmafia-lar-forecasting/branches/master/src/
git: ???

also when I did svn update, it tried updating Ezandora-Detective-Solver from svn, even though that's one of the scripts I deleted from svn and installed with git earlier (in the same kolmafia session, I haven't tried exiting and running again yet)
At one point we talked about making git support into a package manager, which would've included a "this is where the script starts" metadata object, but there just wasn't enough enthusiasm (or at least not enough skilled enthusiasm) to make it happen. The good news is that Live/Ascend/Repeat script hasn't been updated in 7 years, so it's unlikely that you're going to miss an update.

I'd like to hear what happens with Detective Solver after a restart. I have theories, but I don't want to speculate without more knowledge.

xKiv

My "svn update" ends like this
Code:
Updating all SVN projects...
Installing dependencies
Starting Checkout...
Validating repo...
svn: E160013: '/Ezandora/Detective-Solver/branches/Release' path not found: 404 Not Found (https://github.com)
Something went wrong while fetching svn directory info
Done.
Done.
Done.

after checking 43 scripts that are not on github, plus failing on: Ezandora-Choice-Override-branches-Release not checked (because I still kept that through svn because it's listed as such as a dependency of something else)

weird that "validating repo" would fail on something that's not listed in "checking all svn projects"