Speculation on Ziggurat failure

Theraze

Since the bug report has been closed/locked, I thought speculation could work here in the CS board while we wait for something to work on the BR thread.

Any chance that the issue is due to the choice adventure doing different things? As soon as I refresh the relay browser during the looping, the CCS fires immediately... it looks like mafia is just failing to hand the fight over to the CCS fully - like it thinks that it's still in the choice adventure processing, and once the page refreshes it realizes that it is now in the fight.php page and should run the CCS.

Veracity

Developer
Staff member
When I saw Crowther's note, I tried reproducing the issue with a different choice adventure that leads to a fight - one of the Giant Castle Top Floor choices. I automated adventures one at a time with a CCS that simply did an "abort". Every time, it aborted (and I finished in the Relay Browser). Then, I hit one of the choice adventures, it redirected to fight.php - and it aborted, exactly as expected.

I have no idea why the Ziggurat would be different - and it will be at least a week before I see it again.

Winterbay

The idea that Mafia somehow fails to hand over to the ccs is in some parts, I find, by the fact that WHAM appears to not do anything in the reported cases. There should be quite a lot of printing being done even on relatively low zlib verbosity, but especially on the one with verbosity 9.

Theraze

The other part supporting that is the last post before it was locked, Crowther's note that Veracity referenced. Basically, with a CCS consisting only of abort, it failed to abort. The CCS never triggered.

For some reason, it's just getting... stuck. Unlike every 'normal' choice.

Speaking of which, is there any chance that the infinite-loop prevention code that was added to the new Hidden City is the reason why it isn't doing normal choiceadv handling?

Winterbay

I have the ziggurat coming up tomorrow, or possibly Saturday, in my current run. Is there anything I can do to help debug the issue?

Veracity

Developer
Staff member
Speaking of which, is there any chance that the infinite-loop prevention code that was added to the new Hidden City is the reason why it isn't doing normal choiceadv handling?
You posted this from your session log:

Code:
[1002] A Massive Ziggurat
Encounter: Legend of the Temple in the Hidden City
Took choice 791/1: fight Protector Spectre
choice.php?whichchoice=791&option=1&pwd
Encounter: Protector Spectre
Round 0: Theraze wins initiative!
That IS "normal choiceadv handling".

The log you posted from doing "adventure Ziggurat" in the gCLI showed this:

adventure.php
-> redirect to fight.php
"You're on your own" with no URL submitted.

I understand why it would fail to submit fight.php if it had already aborted out of a fight: it was in an abort state and the round was > 0 and the next action was "abort", and it will print "You're on your own" again.

What I don't understand is what would induce an infinite loop of attempting to run FightRequest.INSTANCE when it is already in an abort state. That is probably the key bug to identify.

I'm not sure which stage of Winterbay's signature I'm in, yet. Maybe up to stage 4. :)