Bug Script menu has varying number of extra scroll arrows

devjoe

Anybody know why my script menu is behaving so weirdly? Mousing over the arrows does scroll the menu, but sometimes makes more extra arrows. Not all the scripts show, and sometimes Refresh menu lets me see the ones I want; it still generates extra arrows but sometimes different ones.

This started recently, in Mafia daily build r27274, but not on the first day I used that version. Nor did I update java just before it started.
I removed some less commonly used scripts in hopes that having fewer scripts would avoid the bug, but no luck.

I updated Mafia since to daily r27295 but it didn't fix the problem.
Java version is:
openjdk 17.0.6 2023-01-17
OpenJDK Runtime Environment (Red_Hat-17.0.6.0.10-1.fc37) (build 17.0.6+10)
OpenJDK 64-Bit Server VM (Red_Hat-17.0.6.0.10-1.fc37) (build 17.0.6+10, mixed mode, sharing)

Attachments

• kolmafia_script_menu_bug.png
    kolmafia_script_menu_bug.png
    25.6 KB · Views: 9

fronobulax

Developer
Staff member
I have seen something similar that has been around since things were consolidated into Bookmarks but I have not been able to reproduce it. But it's hard to fix if it can't be repeatedly reproduced.

Thanks for the report and that it appears "fixed".

This seemed to be substantially the same issue, so I merged this new report into the thread from a few weeks ago...

Hi all - I've been having this problem intermittently for at least a couple months to a few years, and am finally making an account to report it.

What's happening is:
- Sometimes the scripts menu gets screwed in with vertical spacing - see attached images. All other menu options still look normal.
- Other times I only see Script Manager and Load Scripts, with the rest of the scripts blank - like what's reported here: https://kolmafia.us/threads/r26560-scripts-menu-missing-user-scripts.27737/. Going through that thread, messing around with scriptMRULength didn't seem to do anything for me.
- This seems to happen when I've left mafia open for a couple of hours. Closing mafia and restarting always fixes the problem, and I can always run scripts via command line.

I'm currently using maria r27321, and have had this problem across multiple builds. I've updated to the latest version of Adoptium at least twice in the past ~6 months. I still have java (?) installed from before it was recommended to move to Adoptium.

This obviously isn't a huge deal, since a restart fixes the problem, but it is annoying, which is why I'm reporting it.

Thanks y'all's for all the work with mafia, it is very much appreciated!

Attachments

• mafia menu.PNG
    mafia menu.PNG
    74.7 KB · Views: 4
  • mafia menu 2.PNG
    mafia menu 2.PNG
    15.3 KB · Views: 4
Last edited by a moderator:
Note: it looks like my bug report has been merged with another, so I'm adding more notes. I tend to leave mafia open for an entire day at a time, and I get the bug I've described about once every other day for the past few months - but it's easy to fix with a mafia restart, so I hadn't reported it. I have not gotten the bug where there are extra arrows. When I get the bug with the large vertical space, I'm unable to scroll.

fronobulax

Developer
Staff member
See https://kolmafia.us/threads/ctrl-k-search-pop-up.27530/#post-167932 which has some discussion about an added feature that I think introduced the behavior.

See https://kolmafia.us/threads/scriptmenu-init.28535/#post-171054 which includes a photograph of what I was seeing.

The reason these have lingered is that no one can reliably reproduce the issue. it happens but there is not enough context to consistently reproduce it. That, in turn, means someone is going to have to look at the code and see if there is something that doesn't look right. I've tried but obviously have not gotten a fix.

In my case I just gave up on the GUI and added a couple of scripts as Bookmarks. I've disabled the options to build a menu and just use the file chooser option to run non-bookmarked scripts.

fronobulax

Developer
Staff member
Yep, that looks familiar. Embarrassingly, I tried search for "script menu" to see if the bug was already known, but because the post is titled ScriptMenu.init, my search didn't return that thread. I'll just continue restarting mafia when I hit this bug :)

No problem on not finding previous discussions.

Restarting does not always clear things up for me but we pretty much have to work around it until someone has some insight.

Disastrophe

Is there an ongoing thread for this (Or is this that?)

I have started encountering the issue again in recent builds (I update at least once a day to the most current version).
When I 'Refresh menu' under Scripts, it keeps adding extra scroll arrows:
image.png

Current version is 27451

I thought it might have something to do with my nested script directories, but haven't done any thorough testing of that.