Feature - Implemented Recognize combats by element

Braska

If this isn't possible or is just too time consuming, then please let me know, I just think this would be convenient.

The best way I can describe this request is with an example of how I would like to set up my CCS:

[spooky element]
Heroic Belch

[default]
Cleave

This obviously is part of my trying to fully automate AoB runs. Entering every monster that is spooky elemental into a CCS would be tedious and, IME, inefficient. If we could recognize monsters by element, I believe it would lead to easier scripting for everyone.

PS: If this can already be done, I haven't found any instructions on how to set it up. If that is the case, I apologize, and accept my banishment to Bolivia.

Bale

Minion
While you are correct, there is still usefulness to this request. It is really easy to learn how to create a CCS, but the learning curve for creating one's own combat consult script is much steeper.

For a non-scripter your answer is the same as telling them to climb a mountain just because they want to enjoy a nice walk in the outdoors. It does the job, but the effort seems out of proportion to the result.

I'd say that this request will probably be rejected though since CCSes aren't intended for anything complicated or conditional. Learning to write a consult script is probably required.

Last edited:

lostcalpolydude

Developer
Staff member
Yeah, consult scripts aren't for everyone. But my unspoken thought is that there are probably a lot of special cases as useful/niche as this that people might want in a CCS, and it probably isn't worth the effort to change the code for all of them, or even to set a precedent in this case.

Braska

Yeah, I admit that I am pretty weak at creating my own scripts. If this is rejected I would completely understand, just figured that anything is worth a shot. :)

holatuwol

Developer
Well, we could theoretically make it recognize ASH constants (and thus eliminate any precedent for future requests, because we only did it because it's easy).

If it sees $element[] it checks the monster element, if it sees $phylum[] it checks for the phylum, if it sees $item[], it checks against the monster's drop list?

holatuwol

Developer
See notes for 10815. Let me know if I should adjust it to only check only defense and not both defense and attack. I initially did defense (since that was what was mentioned here), but I ultimately did both because of how KoLmafia colors the monsters in the location pane.

Theraze

Well, the potential issue with checking for monsters whose element is attack only is that, if you're setting your simple combat based on their element, it's probably because you care about their weakness. If the monster only attacks with that element but doesn't defend with it, it's not a weakness, so your modified attack is ineffective or, possibly, useless.

That's the issue with checking both. :) It works, but leads to people going... "Why does this spooky mob not have a weakness to stench? It must be because mafia's data is wrong!" Nope. Just that they're only half-spooky, and it happens to be the part that doesn't matter in terms of your attacking. :)

Skullbat would be an example of a monster like that. According to the code, it attacks with the spooky element, but doesn't have a special defensive element associated.