Bug - Not A Bug Not logging in

spidermcfly

This is probably not the right place, or I'm just a tool, but I can't get Mafia to log in today.

I've been having trouble ever since changes were made to deal with SSL, but I had an old version (10613) that was working fine.

I tried it this morning, and got "sending login request..." and then "Requests complete.", but nothing else happens.

I have since tried using the latest version (10728) to no avail, and tried every combination of connection settings.

I can login to vanilla KoL, but not through Mafia, and this makes me a sad panda. :(

spidermcfly

Here it is:

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
KoLmafia v15.1 r10729, Windows XP, Java 1.6.0_20
Please note: do not post this log in the KoLmafia thread. If you
would like the dev team to look at it, please write a bug report
at kolmafia.us. Include specific information about what you were
doing when you made this and include the log as an attachment.
Timestamp: Mon Mar 05 09:26:59 EST 2012

Sending login request...
class net.sourceforge.kolmafia.request.LoginRequest
Connecting to login.php...

Requesting: https://www.kingdomofloathing.com/login.php?password&secure=0&loginname=spidermcfly+&loggingin=Yup.
4 request properties

Field: Content-Length = [65]
Field: User-Agent = [KoLmafia v15.1]
Field: Connection = [close]
Field: Content-Type = [application/x-www-form-urlencoded]

Requests complete.

I get the same output no matter which Connection options I set. I don't use a proxy server to connect.

Thanks!!

Veracity

Developer
Staff member
First of all, you have the "use SSL" checked. That's cool, since we want to make that work for everybody, since KoL will force everybody to use it, by and by. But you should be able to uncheck it and log in as before.

But first, please take Revision 10731 and turn on debug logging and try again. I would guess that you are getting an IO error trying to post that login request, for some reason. We used to silently give up when that happens. That revision prints an error message - hopefully including enough for us to figure out what went wrong. I want to see that error message. Thanks!

spidermcfly

You guess correctly (unsurprisingly)! :)

IOException during data post (login.php): java.net.ConnectException: Connection timed out: connect
Requests complete.

Since I'm the only one reporting this, I assume it's something on my end?

holatuwol

Developer
Ah, Veracity asked if you could enable debug logging. KoLmafia created a DEBUG_[date].txt

After checking to make sure there's no passwords in there (and removing any such passwords if they are still there -- we should have removed it, but it never hurts to be extra careful), can you upload it?

Veracity

Developer
Staff member
I didn't make it print a stack trace - although I should have. I just made it print the exception. We can deduce the stack trace, based on his original log:

Code:
Sending login request...
class net.sourceforge.kolmafia.request.LoginRequest
Connecting to login.php...

Requesting: [url]https://www.kingdomofloathing.com/lo...&loggingin=Yup[/url].
4 request properties

Field: Content-Length = [65]
Field: User-Agent = [KoLmafia v15.1]
Field: Connection = [close]
Field: Content-Type = [application/x-www-form-urlencoded]
This is a standard https login from LoginRequest.
The exception is in postClientData.

Bah. I suppose we do a printStackTrace there if that doesn't help you.

holatuwol

Developer
Yeah, I'm trying to dig deeper into the core Java code to see where in that code it's throwing the exception, so I put in a stack trace.

spidermcfly

Don't waste any more time.

I should have checked stuff other than Mafia before I posted this - looks like the IT gurus here at work have blocked all network activity from Java apps. I didn't notice until I tried to log in to DropBox; I then tried a couple others (logmein, kolproxy), and they all time out.

Thanks for the effort - it was appreciated!
:)

/me contemplates life playing vanilla KoL again and shudders.