Bug - Not A Bug [NOT A BUG/SOLUTION: use chat panel in relay window, not gcli] Writing /go in CLI does not reflect the action in relay window

Myrella

Hello,

I encountered a strange problem. Multiple of my clanmates have confirmed that using a command /go [place] sends them to the given place in a relay window. I have tried it multiple times - from chat window, from gcli, from a custom daily and it always prints out what I would expect ("Sending you to A Monorail Station.", in case of /go monorail) but it never does anything else than print this message, relay stays in the place.

1691050874894.png

I am not 100% certain it is a bug and I might be missing something. If that is the case, please, correct me and tell me where I could go to ask these questions in order to minimise bothering and wrong focus.

Veracity

Developer
Staff member
That literally cannot work the way you want it to.
The only way the browser can update what it shows you is if it receives something from KoL in response to a request it sent to KoL.

If you type “/go” in chat in the browser, that is sending a request, and KoL’s reply directs the browser to submit a request whose reply will navigate to the place you asked for.

If you type /go in the CLI, KoLmafia will send it to KoL chat and will receive the response, but what then? The browser is not waiting for a response, and KoLmafia can’t just send one down to it unsolicited.

It should work from the chat pane in your browser side-pane, though. If that's also not working, then it could be that your session timed out, and when mafia automatically logged in for you again, only your main pane updated with the new session, and your chatpane still has data from the previous one? That's happened to me with the top pane, and the solution is to just press F5 to reload the entire page.

Myrella

That literally cannot work the way you want it to.
The only way the browser can update what it shows you is if it receives something from KoL in response to a request it sent to KoL.

If you type “/go” in chat in the browser, that is sending a request, and KoL’s reply directs the browser to submit a request whose reply will navigate to the place you asked for.

If you type /go in the CLI, KoLmafia will send it to KoL chat and will receive the response, but what then? The browser is not waiting for a response, and KoLmafia can’t just send one down to it unsolicited.
Ooooh. That actually makes a lot of sense, I misunderstood the whole functionality. I thought I could control the relay window with gcli commands 😅 Thank you, Veracity, for explaining it!

It should work from the chat pane in your browser side-pane, though. If that's also not working, then it could be that your session timed out, and when mafia automatically logged in for you again, only your main pane updated with the new session, and your chatpane still has data from the previous one? That's happened to me with the top pane, and the solution is to just press F5 to reload the entire page.

I tried it from the chat and that is working just fine. I will remember what you said if there are any issues.
My fault was that I tried to control the relay window from GCLI, which is a nonsense, I see that now. Not saying it would not be cool, but I can see why it does not work :)
Thank you for responding!

Veracity

Developer
Staff member
Glad to help.

The thing to keep in mind, when you are playing in the Relay Browser, KoLmafia sits between the browser and KoL and accepts requests from the browser, relays them to KoL, gets the response from Kol, and relays them down to the browser.

KoLmafia sees both the request and response, and keeps its own database in synch with KoL and augments the response (with monster stats and choice spoilers, for example).

When you issue requests from KoLmafia’s GUI, CLI, or a script, those go straight to and from KoL and the browser is not involved.

Myrella

Glad to help.

The thing to keep in mind, when you are playing in the Relay Browser, KoLmafia sits between the browser and KoL and accepts requests from the browser, relays them to KoL, gets the response from Kol, and relays them down to the browser.

KoLmafia sees both the request and response, and keeps its own database in synch with KoL and augments the response (with monster stats and choice spoilers, for example).

When you issue requests from KoLmafia’s GUI, CLI, or a script, those go straight to and from KoL and the browser is not involved.
I'll try to keep it in mind, it definitely clears up some misconception I had how it worked :) This explanation makes complete sense why it wouldn't work :D Mafia communicated stellarly with KoL and relayed everything correctly, but browser was not involved in such discussion, so why should it display anything, when it doesn't know anything :D