Feature - Implemented (Non) Trivial Update: Gallery Fix support

GValko

April 11, 2012 - The Knights and Maidens encounter in the Haunted Gallery is now ignorable (and stays away for a while when you ignore it.)

Same choice adventure number, there's now a 4th option that lets you banish the encounter for the time being.

Code:
[73409] Haunted Gallery
Encounter: Out in the Garden
Took choice 89/4: unknown
choice.php?pwd&whichchoice=89&option=4

Can we please get support so we all never again have to fight the knights. :D

slyz

Developer
I was going to commit this patch, but I remembered it might be problematic. The choiceAdventure89 preference has the following effect:
Code:
0 -> Fight a random knight
1 -> Only fight the wolf knight
2 -> Only fight the snake knight
3 -> Maidens, then fight a random knight
4 -> Maidens, then fight the wolf knight
5 -> Maidens, then fight the snake knight
and I was going to change it to be:
Code:
0 -> ignore this adventure 
1 -> Fight a random knight
2 -> Only fight the wolf knight
3 -> Only fight the snake knight
4 -> Maidens, then ignore this adventure
5 -> Maidens, then fight a random knight
6 -> Maidens, then fight the wolf knight
7 -> Maidens, then fight the snake knight
Users with the "Only fight the snake knight" setting would find themselves fighting wolf knights, others would only fight the snake knight instead of getting the maidens effect and fighting a random knight, etc...

Should I move the "ignore this adventure" setting to be at the end and not change the others, or are we okay with changing the meaning of users' current settings?

Attachments

• maidens.patch
    2.3 KB · Views: 33
Last edited:

Bale

Minion
Backwards compatibility is more important than intuitive meanings for those numbers, expecially since many of them aren't intuitive. Make the new options the last ones.

roippi

Developer
woooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo. Ahem.

Backwards compatibility is more important than intuitive meanings for those numbers, expecially since many of them aren't intuitive. Make the new options the last ones.

Yep.

Veracity

Developer
Staff member
It's unfortunate we did it this way, since 0 SHOULD mean "manual control", as in almost everywhere else. Bale is correct: put the new options at the end.

Or, put them in a "natural" order in the dropdown, but have them map to backwards-compatible choice option settings.

I think ignoring is the best default.

Bale

Minion
Veracity has a point. There should be a "manual control" setting like for all other choices. Please add that one also while you're at it. Shame that it isn't choice 0.

slyz

Developer
r10906. I couldn't test the actual adventuring, but the backwards-compatibility works.

EDIT: I missed Bale's post while making the change. Since quite a few of the choice adventures that have special handling in ChoiceOptionsPanel.java lack the "show in browser" option, I'm going to mark this request fixed, and let someone create a new feature request to add them in a backwards-compatible way.

The choice adventures lacking the "show in browser" option are:

- the castle wheel
- the palindrome papaya
- the violet fog
- the louvre
- the maidens
- the billiard room pool
- both haunted library bookcases

Last edited:

lyndis

Hey, how do I actually *use* a .patch? I tried moving it to the data folder, because it seemed like a good idea, but that didn't work.

Terion

If you don't know what lost is talking about, the short answer is: you wait for one of the wonderful people here to put it into the next Daily Build.

Last edited:

slyz

Developer
The change has been made already: if you are running r10906 or higher (you can get a recent version from the link in my signature), there should be an "Ignore this adventure" choice for the Maidens.