Bug - Waiting for Info No "drunk duck" at post-war farm, combat.txts lists it

Veracity

Developer
Staff member
I've also confirmed it myself.

Obviously, we can fix it here - but perhaps it warrants a KoL bug report, rather than a KoLmafia bug report? I mean, it hardly seems intentional to omit exactly one of the 12 ducks that appear in a sub-zone of the farm from the post-war farm. Unless, perhaps, there is a limit of 11 monsters in a zone or something, which, I guess, would not surprise me given Jick's "11 is enough" attitude. Sort of stupid in this case, but whatever.

How about submitting a KoL bug report and seeing what answer you get?

*snort* I'll omit my customary rant about the reliability of the Wiki as a data source...

Crowther

The generic duck also does not appear post quest. I don't think Jick and Scully share our love of symmetry and balance.

I've mentioned it publicly on the forums, so maybe someone will care. I just asked if people think it's intentional.

Often the wiki is the most reliable data source we have. Yes, it's sad. I'm really happy they've recently been adding transparency in the actually game.

Veracity

Developer
Staff member
I am sure that the generic duck being absent post-war is intentional.
I am not so sure that the drunk duck is intentional.

Any reason to not submit a KoL bug report and get a direct answer from the dev team - or a fix from a dev?

Crowther

Any reason to not submit a KoL bug report and get a direct answer from the dev team - or a fix from a dev?
I hate submitting bug reports. People always argue with me that it's not a bug. I just wanted mafia and KoL to agree so I don't have to special case it in my script. I made a mistake posting about it at all. It would have taken far less effort on my part to special case it. Anyway, I've modified my own mafia and I'm not sure anyone is using my script. Why exactly should I care?

lostcalpolydude

Developer
Staff member
People always argue with me that it's not a bug.

If you ask in G-D whether you should submit a KoL bug report, you can end up with pages of discussion. If you actually submit one, you get a friendly message from someone (likely Gemelli) with a simple "not a bug", "known bug", or "I'll pass it along", and it's easy.

Crowther

LoL! Yeah. Gemelli is awesome. G-D sucks.
Gemelli is awesome and I know that from reading G-D. ;)

I've only submitted three bug reports on KoL. The first was actually a bug (poop deck counter overflow). The third one was 30 seconds after the second, saying "Sorry, my mistake."

I honestly thought I'd researched this well enough and it was as simple as deleting two words from a file. Normally I fix my own bugs and only talk about them when someone else reports them. It keeps my stress level much lower and save me valuable time. There's something different about reporting bugs to game tools vs other open source tools that I don't seem to understand.

However, now I'm really curious. Is there an 11 monster per zone limit in KoL? The only zones with more monsters have strange mechanics (war, hole in, nemesis cave).

The MM has been the most fun hacking on KoL I've had for a while, but I'm getting burned out.

Catch-22

However, now I'm really curious. Is there an 11 monster per zone limit in KoL? The only zones with more monsters have strange mechanics (war, hole in, nemesis cave).

If there is, it's purely aesthetic. There's no technical reason (I can think of) as to why you couldn't have more than 11 monsters in a zone.

lostcalpolydude

Developer
Staff member
It used to be a technical limitation in KoL that prevented monsters from having more than 3 item drops.

I honestly thought I'd researched this well enough and it was as simple as deleting two words from a file.
The last KoL bug report I filed was because an item name had a trailing space. I could have simply added a space to the name in mafia, but it was clearly unintended, so I reported it instead. The response can always be "working as intended", in which case mafia has to change to match what KoL has, but it doesn't hurt to check.