Bug - Not A Bug New Java build version (from 11014) making clean compiles fail

Theraze

When build.xml got updated, I ran ant clean to fix my compile to be consistent... good coding behaviour and all that. Compiling after complained about using depreciated methods... no big deal as long as they still work.

But when I tried to actually log in tonight, it failed to finish launching, eventually giving me a stuck window with the center 'adventuring' frame blank. Close button didn't work... I had to forcibly terminate the process.

Validated that the 11014 change was the problem by reverting build.xml to version 11013, running ant clean, and ant again.

roippi

Developer
Builds fine for me, both in eclipse and in ant.

Check that your ant builder is using a 1.5 or greater JDK? Might as well copy/paste the whole ant output here.

Theraze

Buildfile: C:\kolmafia\build.xml

start:
[delete] Deleting directory C:\kolmafia\build\net\sourceforge\kolmafia

init:

svn-version:

gitsvn-version:

version:
[echo] Current revision: 11017M

debug:

init:

jikeshome:

javahome:
[exec] java version "1.6.0_31"
[exec] Java(TM) SE Runtime Environment (build 1.6.0_31-b05)
[exec] Java HotSpot(TM) 64-Bit Server VM (build 20.6-b01, mixed mode)

compile:
[echo] Using modern compiler

svn-version:

gitsvn-version:

version:
[echo] Current revision: 11017M
[javac] Compiling 701 source files to C:\kolmafia\build
[javac] Note: C:\kolmafia\src\net\sourceforge\kolmafia\request\GenericRequest.java uses or overrides a deprecated API.
[javac] Note: Recompile with -Xlint:deprecation for details.
[javac] Note: Some input files use unchecked or unsafe operations.
[javac] Note: Recompile with -Xlint:unchecked for details.

svn-version:

gitsvn-version:

unversion:
[copy] Copying 2 files to C:\kolmafia\build

jar:
[jar] Building jar: C:\kolmafia\dist\KoLmafia-15.2.jar

BUILD SUCCESSFUL
Total time: 24 seconds

Okay... this time it did launch. Last time it had an error while processing inventory bits, so hopefully that's fixed. We'll see if it cooperates, but... yeah, the bolded section above only shows up when you change build.xml from 11013 to 11014. Something new got depreciated.

roippi

Developer
Looks okay to me.

The deprecated thing is just a warning, shouldn't cause problems like an error would.

Theraze

Yeah, like I said... it failed last night, works this morning. Not sure what exactly is going on, but I'll re-report if it causes problems again. :)

xKiv

When build.xml got updated, I ran ant clean to fix my compile to be consistent...

I suspect this might be wrong. You should have ran ant clean *before* build.xml got udpated. Changing build.xml (possibly) changes what gets cleaned.

Theraze

Ah... well, I ran it a bunch of times before and after, so maybe that's why it's working now.

Generally on compiling projects I've been on, ant/make/whatever clean blows away the whole "build" folder and makes it start from scratch. Bad expectation maybe, but... eh, we learn as we go.

Winterbay

I think the Kol Mafia-version did that as well until recently in order to make some things not go away for people compiling from source. But I may misremember...

Theraze

It used to wipe the "dist" folder on every compile, but the "build" folder was sacrosanct besides on invoking clean. The removing of "dist" removal happened because people were running mafia out of their compiler folder instead of copying it out and then complaining that it kept killing their files. :) If my memory holds accurate.

fronobulax

Developer
Staff member
Well I run out of my dist directory and see no reason why I need to add one more step to my build and run process ;-) The mafia build does clean out jars, exes and tarballs in dist as part of clean and that is exactly what I would want an automated clean to do - clean out every file that could possible be generated as part of the automated process, but leave everything else alone. Blowing away dist was laziness or the result of a flawed understanding for the process.

Tangentially, there have been cases where something has fouled up the version stuff in mafia's build for me but it has never been worth tracking down since reverting the one file and rebuilding fixes the problem.