Feature - Implemented More detailed BHH dialog

Aankhen

At present, visiting the Bounty Hunter Hunter in Mafia shows a dialog which shows the items being asked for and their locations. I usually end up heading to the wiki page on the BHH to see the average number of turns for those bounties, and then check the individual locations to see what the proportion of bounty-dropping monsters is.

For me personally, at least, it would be nice if Mafia provided some more details. I think that just seeing the number of items required, the combat rate and the proportion of bounty-dropping monsters would be enough. I’ve attached a patch implementing this as a sample. I’ve also attached a couple of screenshots for comparison.

Before:
Before.png

After:
After.png

As regards the patch itself, I’m something of a Java neophyte—chalk up any intolerable aberrations to my inexperience. There’s probably a much better solution than “ChoiceWrapper”, for example. I just don’t know it myself.

One response I anticipate is “but you eventually learn this stuff anyway through practice”. I agree in principle; in practice, my unreliable memory means I’d much rather have Mafia spoonfeed this information to me. It’s also a small bonus to see the adjusted combat rate without having to think about it.

One other thing: this patch doesn’t account for choice adventures that turn into the combat you want. I have no idea how to do that.

EDIT:
Replaced the patch with an updated version. This fixes a bug where trying to take the bounty selected by default (i.e. opening up the dialog and clicking on the confirm button immediately) would fail. It also adds the details of the current hunt to the error message when you try to visit the BHH while hunting a bounty.

Attachments

• more-detailed-bhh-dialog.patch
    9.6 KB · Views: 47
Last edited:

Veracity

Developer
Staff member
That's pretty attractive.

Regarding choices: we have no knowledge of what the choices in an adventure location do, so taking those into account is beyond the cope of this - although I would hope the bounty hunting scripts out there would do so.

Winterbay

Oh, I like it. Even though I do know some of the ones by heart by now there are ones I usally never do so this kind of information would be great to have.

Bale

Minion
I hardly ever bounty anymore, but I would have loved this back then. I too want to add my voice saying, "Awesomesauce!"

Aankhen

Sorry for the delayed response! I stopped checking the thread after a couple days (apparently right around the time when it got replies :p).
Regarding choices: we have no knowledge of what the choices in an adventure location do, so taking those into account is beyond the cope of this - although I would hope the bounty hunting scripts out there would do so.
Okay. Makes sense. Any chance of seeing this (or, more likely, a better-written version) in KoLmafia, choice adventures notwithstanding?

Thanks for the kind words, folks. :)

fronobulax

Developer
Staff member
Necro after too many months. I couldn't get the patch to apply (no surprise) but if you would like to redo it, I'll review and commit.

The "\ No newline at end of file" may have caused problems, I don't want the template text in Choice Wrapper and I'm not sure that part was regognized anyway.

Veracity

Developer
Staff member
The main issue with this is that it is written using Java > 1.4 features. It would not be difficult to rewrite it using older Java syntax, but it's more than just applying a patch. It's a (small) project, best accomplished by somebody familiar with current KoLmafia coding standards.

Thanks for reminding me of this Feature. I doubt we'll have time to get it into tomorrow's release, but I see no reason it shouldn't be an early new feature after that...

fronobulax

Developer
Staff member
Thanks. I missed the 1.4 features but that kind of explains why the patch languished. Given that Theraze tells me KoLmafia works (now) with 1.7, I wonder how long we should continue at 1.4? Embedding a SVN client for script management also got (partially) derailed because of Java version. I know there are two or three threads devoted to Java version but I'm here ;-)