Modifier maximizer expression help

Gemlad

Sorry if this has been asked before, but I couldn't find a suitable thread in search.

I'm confused about the min/max attributes in the maximizer. I'm wanting to do things like maximize weapon dmg (or item, etc.) whilst keeping a minimum level of mox (or mus, depending on class).

For example, say I want to adventure with a minimum mox of 100 whilst otherwise maximizing item drop. Should I use
Code:
100 mox max, item
or
Code:
mox 100 max, item
or something entirely different?

Also, which number should I use? I have managed to utterly confuse myself with looking at the modref values and now have no idea what I'm doing!

Thanks,
Gem

slyz

Developer
Code:
mox, 100 min, item

I added the commas to separate clearly the "<weight> <keyword>" sequences, but they can be removed.

I thought the Limits part in the Maximizer help was clear enough. Any suggestions to make it clearer are welcome:

Limits

Any numeric modifier keyword can be followed by one or both of these special keywords:
min - The weight specifies the minimum acceptable value for the preceding modifier. If the value is lower, the results will be flagged as a failure.
max - The weight specifies the largest useful value for the preceding modifier. Larger values will be ignored in the score calculation, allowing other specified modifiers to be boosted instead.

Note that the limit keywords won't quite work as expected for a modifier that you're trying to minimize.
If min or max is specified at the start of the expression, it applies to the total score (the sum of each modifier value times its weight). A global max may allow equipment maximization to finish faster, since no further combinations will be considered once the specified value is reached.

Gemlad

It turned out I had just confused myself. I was trying to up my item drop rate whilst not having too much mox, whilst not actually having that much +item equipment.

The first expression I tried was the correct one (and as the instructions implied) - it just didn't work as I expected due to me being on a different character with different stuff.

Excuse me whilst I squeeze a coffee pixie for the caffeine. Thanks for your help!

xKiv

I thought the Limits part in the Maximizer help was clear enough. Any suggestions to make it clearer are welcome:

I believe that adding in some example could help.
(does it work with both, like "mox, 60 min, 80 max"?)
Maybe also explicitly point out that the numbers are limits on score, so "mox, 60 min, 80 max" will end up with the same moxie range as "10 mox, 600 min, 800 max"?

Theraze

Yes, it does work like that. If you have minimums, also set a maximum unless you want something to keep going higher.

Also, since the modifier changes a few months ago, if something provides more 'points' even if it isn't necessarily the 'best' item, it might end up not reaching your requirement. I'd suggest over-valuing your requirement stat... 10 moxie, 100 min, 100 max, item drop. Something like that. Or even giving moxie more weight. That should get you 100+ point of moxie, but whatever else it can get should go into item drop.

It's just sad when you have your pretty modifier string and then you throw stench res, 1 min, 1 max onto the end to pick up a broken skull and... what's that? No stench res and the modifier string keeps failing over and over even though you have lots of options? *drama sigh* Time for 1000 stench res, 1 min, 1 max. ;)

Theraze

Both minimum and maximum. Needs moxie, 100 min, 100 max. Else moxie and item drop are evenly balanced and you might end up with only 30 moxie. Or something else that doesn't meet the requirements.