Feature - Implemented maximizer include available hatter buffs

Rinn

Developer
The hatter buffs are kind of hard because you have to adventure a zone to get them. You can check the Include "effects with no direct source" check box to at least see them in the list however.

Bale

Minion
The hatter buffs are kind of hard because you have to adventure a zone to get them.

This is not correct. No adventure is needed to get the hatter buffs. That's why they are awesome. They are a free 30 turn buff each day. (Some of those buffs are quite powerful and useful.)

I would like to point out this awesome script which I use to list the buffs and acquire them. It shows you everything you can do with your current hat selection. (Including hats in NPC stores) It will then use the potion, equip the hat, get the buff and reequip your original hat.

In Fist runs I find myself enjoying the +20 ML I can get with the pail. I never used that before since I didn't do the artist's quest. In Fist runs I really appreciate the extra meat from rat tails and the tea party makes it even better.

stannius

If the maximizer even simply listed the potential buffs, and left getting them up to the user, that would be a nice feature.

Theraze

So... asking for the same as the script that's already available?

What new functionality are you adding that would better serve having static datafiles instead of a more easily updated user script?

Bale

Minion
What new functionality are you adding that would better serve having static datafiles instead of a more easily updated user script?

One stop shopping. Sometimes I forget that I've got an additional resource when I use the maximizer. I suspect other people could also use the reminder.

Catch-22

I'm not sure if that's what the maximizer is really for, otherwise you'd think it would use like potion of gr8ness as well, or GAP buffs, etc.

I can see why it would be handy, though. Perhaps something else is needed to fill this purpose.

Bale

Minion
Yes, I know that. I simply meant that it was where it belongs in preference to the maximizer.

Pool buffs are thrice a day, they show up in the maximizer. Friars are once a day, they show up as well.
I see no reason why this should be any different.

Straight-forward effects with a direct source, cost (at most) one Drink Me to gain... no different than any number of other sources listed for any particular maximizer request.

Hmm. Should that not be fixed? I know it's not a "bug" but it's definitely incomplete, and there are more difficult effects that mafia(/maximizer) is capable of gathering.
So... asking for the same as the script that's already available?

which throws me: do we not have static data files for every other effect and its source built-in? Is there some significant sign that the hatter buffs are going to change?

In statuseffects I see a wide array of sources. use, eat, pool... and then we have #tea party with x-char hat.

So, in essence, this would boil down to first a request for a CLI command (say... tea, party, or hatter) that behaves similarly to summon (cast with effect name or hat character length) and -then- uncommenting those effect acquisition methods (hatter 7, party On Wayne, whatever), and then (if it's not already default behavior for the maximizer to use all for which there is a method in the file) add them into the maximizer.

Theraze

I was actually referring to new hats as opposed to current effects changing. While it's possible they'd screw with effects in the future to amuse themselves, it seemed more likely that new content (challenge paths, valhalla, etc) would generate new effects.

Just something where it's easy to update scripts that don't involve needing commit rights and needing to definitely be right or you screw up more people than just the people that like your script. *shrugs*

While I agree with you on "screwing over the userbase is bad" philosophy, I'm not quite sure I understand the rest. Seems to me that you're saying tea party effects are more likely than any other part of KoL to be changed due to new content.

As for new effects because of new hats with never-before-seen character lengths, well... that wouldn't really hurt anybody by not being added immediately, and as far as I can tell would be no different than a new effect with -any- source.

roippi

Developer
r10767

For the record, responding to months-old comments, the only thing keeping this from being implemented sooner was complexity. There's a lot of building maps and reverse-lookup jazz that has to happen under the hood.