Feature - Implemented mall links

I was going to make an override, but mall.php is conveniently locked to script access, so here I am.

Some users choose to exclude a [buy] link from the search page, forcing you to go into the store to make the purchase. I generally find that this is only an inconvenience, as I don't stop to look at anything, I just scroll to the bottom of usually massive amounts of worthless stuff, just to click buy. Since mafia is all about simplifying the experience, I figure this would be worth a look. It'd also save 1 server hit each time anyone encounters this while shopping.

Grotfang

Developer
May I ask for clarification? There is a set up currently where people can buy in one click. Some people choose to force mall users to do it in two. You would like mafia to ignore their preference and what -- add a buy link regardless? I'll have to see whether that would work, but that sounds potentially doable.

slyz

Developer
I didn't understand whether the problem is that Mafia doesn't allow overrides to mall.php, or if the problem is that you can't use a visit_url("mall.php") in your script.

If it's the latter, you could always use buy() instead, which would maybe skip that specific shop but would get the job done. My guess is that the problem is not being able to have an override in the first place though.

Grotfang

Developer
If it is what I thought, I'm actually going to duck out of this request. I don't think mafia tracks the item number as needed by the ajax request (it's longer than the normal one...), and I don't think it's a good idea to introduce workaround code to make it work out the number from surrounding items. I had assumed this would be quick and simple (taking a break from revision). Sorry.

heeheehee

Developer
Staff member
I didn't understand whether the problem is that Mafia doesn't allow overrides to mall.php, or if the problem is that you can't use a visit_url("mall.php") in your script.

If it's the latter, you could always use buy() instead, which would maybe skip that specific shop but would get the job done. My guess is that the problem is not being able to have an override in the first place though.

I'd have to note that an override could potentially be twisted and mallbotty, so that is probably not a great idea (for instance: have an override that buys any number of an item less expensive than a certain limit defined in a mapfile, with a javascripty bit to auto-reload the page every so often -- open a couple of tabs for certain items, and you have a mallbot! zomg!).

Not sure how much this request'd actually help, since you can always purchase using Mafia's GUI (the Purchases frame, not the gCLI -- how is that a GUI?) for presumably fewer clicks.