Mafia versioning & scripts

dj_d

It's really easy to say:
if (version < version_i_tested_on) abort("Upgrade")
Much harder to inventory every function the script makes use of, determine if it might be unsupported in older builds, and deal with it separately.

Catch-22

It's really easy to say:
if (version < version_i_tested_on) abort("Upgrade")
Much harder to inventory every function the script makes use of, determine if it might be unsupported in older builds, and deal with it separately.

It shouldn't really be a single scripters job to document functions and when they were introduced. Normally this is the job of the developer (like in an SVN changelog). Seeings as this is an open source project, it really should be a collective effort from the community.

It would be really nice if the wiki had a stub for each function with an explanation of it's purpose, code snippets related to that function and information as to when the function was introduced or phased out, as the case may be. That way it would be much easier than having to sift through SVN changelogs to figure out when the function was introduced.

Grotfang

Developer
Sorry to resurrect this, but I have produced a possible solution to adding versioning to scripts. See this feature request for more detailed information. Please discuss whether you think this is a useful addition or not. I've tried to avoid the issues people were raising about it before (ie. the use of functions meaning compile failing negates their effect) and I think it really boils down to an issue of how much nannying is acceptable for the end-user. Basically, is it of any use to be told that a script may have failed because of an outdated version of mafia as opposed to a typo or bad scripting.

Last edited: