Mafia not 'looking' for files in the right place?

missfishie

I recently migrated all of my mafia files to a new laptop. I have a Mafia folder, with the latest .jar file in there and the right java version. Inside that folder are all of the subfolders I'm used to seeing (scripts, settings, relay, etc). I log into mafia using that .jar, but none of my settings or preferences are being accessed.

For example, I'm trying to use Numberology but it's saying I already calculated the universe today (I have not); I tried running autoscend (which appears in my dropdown menu of available scripts) and it gives me a wall of red warning texts.

I'm no computer genius, but it seems to me like the .jar is not looking for my files in the right place. Is this a reasonable assumption, is it comically stupid, how can I remedy this?

Thanks so much!

fronobulax

Developer
Staff member
Weird.

Operating system?

How do you start up mafia?

Are there any debug logs (DEBUG... in the same directory as the jar file)?

Are there session logs (in /sessions)?

You will eventually want to check the file permissions in the "new" subdirectory tree but how to do that will depend upon the operating system.

missfishie

Windows 11 Home
I start mafia by double-clicking the .jar file
No debug logs
Session logs exist in the subfolder marked /sessions and are accurate

fronobulax

Developer
Staff member
Windows 11 Home
I start mafia by double-clicking the .jar file
No debug logs
Session logs exist in the subfolder marked /sessions and are accurate

Rats. I was hoping I could pass this off to someone else because it was related to Mac or Linux having preferences for where user and application files are.

It sounds like you have some write permissions. It also seems as if you can at least read /scripts so it is unlikely to be a wide ranging permission problem.

Where is this directory? I was once trying to debug something, lazily created a folder on my Desktop, copied files from my working mafia folder to the new one on the Desktop and tried to run. I had some file related problems that I think were because Windows was overly protective of files and subdirectories on the Desktop but I resolved the issue by moving my test folder rather than tyring to understand the problem.

I'm running Windows 10 which means my experience might not apply.

If this is a new laptop it is worth confirming a valid Java version. Start mafia, don't bother to log in, select Help from the top menu and then Copyright Notice. Version info will tell you several things. A screenshot would be interesting but the next to bottom line "Using Java..." is all I think I really need.

Maybe someone else has more ideas...

missfishie

The directory is on my desktop.

I did the Copyright Notice, and here's what it looks like... unfortunately it still has OneDrive in the pathway, which is confusing and might be causing the problem?

Attachments

• Screenshot 2022-07-07 113824.png
    Screenshot 2022-07-07 113824.png
    37.4 KB · Views: 8

fronobulax

Developer
Staff member
Java 17, Good.

Desktop could be the issue.

Are you comfortable moving it, for example to C:\mafia2 ?

fronobulax

Developer
Staff member
I'm stuck.

Nevertheless....

Make a brand new directory, perhaps C:\KoLmafia. Put the jar file in it. Run mafia. Maybe it will fail to create some of the directories and files or indicate some kind of error. If it works, copy just the contents of the settings directory from your "original" to this directory. Maybe that will help identify if a file got corrupt?

Run KoLmafia from a command line. This may capture messages that are otherwise lost and may tell us what is going on.

Open a command prompt, navigate to a directory with the jar file and then type "java -jar <insert name of the jar file here>".

I can elaborate if you need me to.

xKiv

> For example, I'm trying to use Numberology but it's saying I already calculated the universe today (I have not);

But isn't the default for numberology "not used today yet"? (or is this also the message for a character with the default number od daily numberologies available, which is zero of them?)

Also one perhaps obvious thing to rule out: is it on the same character who had those settings saved?
(and does the character name have any "funny" stuff going on, like any spaces inside, or letters that are not lowercase?)

I would also check modification times on all the setting files after closing mafia. I believe those should match the last time of closing mafia. If they do, they are being written back correctly (but do they still have the correct settings afterwards?)