Bug - Fixed Mafia autopurchased a Monster Manuel

NataliaM

Ok, this morning I was after my last factoid in the Domed City of Grimacia. I put +1 factoid in for a goal, something i've done MANY times before.

This was mafia's response:
Validating adventure sequence...
Condition added: Monster Manuel
Verifying ingredients for Monster Manuel (1)...
Purchasing Monster Manuel (1 @ 1 Mr. Accessory)...
Visiting the Mr. Store...
You acquire an item: Monster Manuel
Mr. Store successfully looted!
Successfully created Monster Manuel (1)
Conditions satisfied after 1 adventures.

> inv mr. a

> inv monster man

Monster Manuel

now, i know i'm out that Mr. A, but really, should mafia be purchasing such things at ALL? besides, I already (obviously) had a monster manuel and was using it for months.
EDIT: I'm using r11832. i should have mentioned that.

Last edited:

lostcalpolydude

Developer
Staff member
11837 should keep this particular issue from happening again with Manuel. The difference this time compared to all the times with no problems is that you probably had looked in Mr. Store and had a Mr. A on hand.

I feel like there was another thread recently about goals being auto-met by acquiring from places other than adventuring, but I can't find it. Also, I can't figure out where the code is for that, if I wanted to change it.

Rinn

Developer
Well at the very least you should be able to flip the Monster Manuel and get most of the value of a Mr. A back.

NataliaM

Well at the very least you should be able to flip the Monster Manuel and get most of the value of a Mr. A back.

Right, i'm not that worried about that portion of this- I'd rather not have to flip monster manuels in the future just because I happen to have an Mr. A on hand.

And lostcalpolydude (I always read that as "lost apocalypse dude") may be on to something- I did buy an extra Mr. A today and picked up a snow suit for a friend. I guess that tricked mafia into thinking I was cool with it spending Mr. A's on its own.

lostcalpolydude

Developer
Staff member
No, it just let mafia know what was in Mr. Store and available to purchase, since it parses the shop when you visit rather than having a data file listing what's there. It makes supporting the tiny costume wardrobe and all the other changing stuff a lot easier.

Catch-22

I feel like there was another thread recently about goals being auto-met by acquiring from places other than adventuring, but I can't find it. Also, I can't figure out where the code is for that, if I wanted to change it.

Well this thread comes to mind for me, where a Ms. Accessory was bought by the maximizer. I suggested that perhaps mafia shouldn't even be automatically buying things from Mr. Store at all.

Theraze

Special exception for Mr. Store to not be considered as an automatic coinmaster and only be available through using the Purchases tab and the Coinmaster panel?

NataliaM

Special exception for Mr. Store to not be considered as an automatic coinmaster and only be available through using the Purchases tab and the Coinmaster panel?

absolutely- or at the very least make this an option in preferences.

Theraze

Well, it is... allow using coinmasters. People generally don't think though that coinmasters includes the BHH and Mr. S, neither of which they generally want automatic actions to happen for.

Bale

Minion
at the very least make this an option in preferences

By the great name of holatuwol, our founder, save me from more preferences!

One would also expect the buy command to work, even if acquire does not.

Catch-22

One would also expect the buy command to work, even if acquire does not.

I just didn't want KoLmafia to spend a Mr. A without explicitly being told to (ie. not inferred by other preferences such as autoSatisfyWithX, preferences a script might change without me noticing). The idea wasn't really met with much fanfare in the other thread, though.

Theraze

As a coinmaster, it should actually be create, not buy. Buy would get from the mall, create would get from coinmasters...

Catch-22

As a coinmaster, it should actually be create, not buy. Buy would get from the mall, create would get from coinmasters...

This is getting off-topic but it seems strange to me that coinmaster items are considered "creations" given that in, the examples I can think of, you're usually exchanging tokens for something else as opposed to combining them to create something. Semantically, "buy" actually makes more sense to me, not that it's likely to change any time soon :p

guyy

It seems...kind of strange to me that Mafia is set up to be able to automatically purchase things from Mr. Store whenever it infers that you want it to. That seems like a crazy risk--software bugs being the unavoidable things that they are--just to have a feature that has little conceivable purpose.

I guess I should continue my previously inexplicable habit of doing Mr. Purchases in vanilla, then.

Catch-22

I guess I should continue my previously inexplicable habit of doing Mr. Purchases in vanilla, then.

I already do Mr. Store purchases in vanilla, but you're still at risk if you have a Mr. Accessory banked in your inventory. I guess you could closet the Mr. A, but some people like to have them on-hand for their value as a nice stat boosting accessory.

Veracity

Developer
Staff member
Mafia is set up to be able to automatically purchase things from Mr. Store whenever it infers that you want it to.
What does this sentence mean? Yes, there was a bug (you are in the bug report thread for it) which has been fixed by lost. But beyond that, it sounds to me like you are unhappy that Mr. Store is a Coinmaster and KoLmafia allows you to use the Coinmaster interface or the Purchase tab to trade Mr. A's for things on offer there. I use those features. But then, I am not paranoid about the code that implements those features. I wrote it. I was paranoid while developing and debugging it, but not now. :)

Not that those interfaces are doing any "inference"; they are following your explicit instructions.

Or do you have an example (other than the bug reported here) of KoLmafia "inferring" that you want to use Mr. Store? You know - one that "has little conceivable purpose". Since I have no idea what you are talking about, I guess that I, too, can't conceive of the purpose for a feature that I am unaware of.

Please enlighten me. Thanks.

Catch-22

Please enlighten me. Thanks.

guyy is possibly referring to the post earlier in the thread where I used the word infer in the context of

inferred by other preferences such as autoSatisfyWithX

I think I suggested elsewhere that Mr. Accessories could perhaps be added to a users memento items list, which would (I hope) prevent them from being unintentionally spent. I will probably test this in the next couple of days as the new IOTM looks kinda neat.

Veracity

Developer
Staff member
I just didn't want KoLmafia to spend a Mr. A without explicitly being told to (ie. not inferred by other preferences such as autoSatisfyWithX, preferences a script might change without me noticing). The idea wasn't really met with much fanfare in the other thread, though.
If you say "buy 1 Monster Manuel", KoLmafia will go to the mall and spend Meat.
If you say "acquire 1 Monster Manuel", KoLmafia is willing to consider Mr. Store if you have autoSatisfyWithCoinmasters set to true (a non-default value) and will otherwise go to the mall and spend Meat.

Seems to me that if you want to spend Meat and only Meat you would use "buy".
Also seems to me that if you have a Mr. A and also sufficient Meat to buy the Manuel in the mall, if it spends your Mr. A, you can just buy another one in the mall, since things currently available in Mr. Store don't get put in the mall for less than the price of a Mr. A, any time I've looked.

lostcalpolydude

Developer
Staff member
After my fix, mafia is printing "Unknown item found: Factoid" when logging in. I'm not sure how to fix that, though it seems to be harmless for now.

Terion

Yay, searching works; I was going to post that since I updated to 11850 (I was roughly a hundred versions back, lazy me) the log was getting "Unknown item found: Factoid" on login, and still on 11861. Instead of a new thread, I'll just mark it in here to reinforce lost's note. As he said, it doesn't seem to do anything, but I also haven't used factoid as a condition.