Modern chat (with tabs)

enabled options-
Show Clan member login notifications
Enable profanity
Display channel name, even for the channel you are in

show unread badges on tabs
show timestamps

Error/Bug/Problem i am having-
i purchased the Huggler Radio from the swagger shop in the PVP revamp area last night while running r11009
Huggler Radio under Miscellaneous Items
http://127.0.0.1:60080/inv_use.php?pwd=[redacted]&which=3&whichitem=3367

when you use it, it brings up an choice for what to listen to,
all fights, friends list fights, clan mates fights, friends and clan, and STOP

in both r11009 and r11038, when i enable the Radio,
pvp fight info gets sent to chat as, i guess, system messages.

(by mafia chat, i mean the pop out window that gets spawned from People- KolMafia Chat)

mafia chat shows them as "green", and they get sent to each tab.

chat from /hardcore intermittently gets sent to other tabs, as a green.

chat gets changed from green to black and back.

it's really, really disruptive to using chat, as in there is a lot of info getting pushed into each tab from the fights listed.

i will try to fiddle with some other settings/configs and update.

i am kevbob in-game if you need to contact me, and i will definitely watch this thread for any questions or recommendations of what i need to test/change/do.

thanks

Last edited:

arkabee

additionally but not directly related,

in the relay browser, when you go to main and it reloads that page,
it shows recent events at the top?

all the huggler radio messages from chat get put up there. that's a LOT of extraneous info it seems.

i don't know maybe it needs a separate container?

Veracity

Developer
Staff member
I got a Huggler radio yesterday and tried it out today. The behavior appears to depend on whether you are using the "old" KOL chat or the "modern" (tabbed) KoL chat.

I'm in channel "clan" and am listening to channel "pvp",

1) With "old" chat:

Here is a message that is sent to channel pvp:

Code:
Requesting: http://www.kingdomofloathing.com/newchatmessages.php?lasttime=1314673309&pwd
Retrieved: http://www.kingdomofloathing.com/newchatmessages.php?lasttime=1314673309&pwd
ResponseText has 365 characters.
<font color=green>[pvp]</font> <b><a target=mainpane href="showplayer.php?who=-43"><font color=#008000>Biggus Announcus</font></b></a>: <a style="font-weight: bold" target="mainpane" href="showplayer.php?who=2065511">Kansas_Mac</a> just knocked <b>NIENOR</b> off the Normal Hill, becoming Queen!<br>Kansas_Mac just devastated NIENOR!<br /><!--lastseen:1314673315-->

Note that it has two lines:

The first identifies the channel - [pvp] - and is the standard Hill "announcement".
The second is a Huggler radio message: "Kansas_Mac just devastated NIENOR!"

Here is a standalone Huggler radio message:

Code:
Requesting: http://www.kingdomofloathing.com/newchatmessages.php?lasttime=1314673315&pwd
Retrieved: http://www.kingdomofloathing.com/newchatmessages.php?lasttime=1314673315&pwd
ResponseText has 68 characters.
Donavin69 just devastated derptarsh!<br /><!--lastseen:1314673321-->

Note that there is no channel identification. In "old" chat, it is simply printed to the chat frame.

- If I am running ActiveChat on top of "old" chat - as I usually do - this message is moved over to the "Events" tab. It is not displayed in either the "clan" or the "pvp" tab.
- Regardless of whether I have ActiveChat in the browser, KoLmafia apparently interprets it as a system message, since it does not have a channel tag. It puts it in green:

Code:
<font color=green>Donavin69 just devastated derptarsh!<br /></font><br>
and sends it to the gCLI. I don't use KoLmafia's internal chat, but, if it's supposedly a "system" message, I can well imagine it gets broadcast to all tabs.

2) With "modern" chat:

Code:
Requesting: http://www.kingdomofloathing.com/newchatmessages.php?j=1&pwd
Retrieved: http://www.kingdomofloathing.com/newchatmessages.php?j=1&pwd
ResponseText has 250 characters.
{"msgs":[{"msg":"Very Flash just defeated DiscoShen!","type":"public","mid":"1314674564","who":{"name":"HMC Radio","id":"-69","color":"black"},"format":"0","channel":"pvp","channelcolor":"green","time":"1341166105"}],"last":"1314674564","delay":3000}

Note that the Huggler radio message says that the message is from "HMC Radio" and is in channel "pvp" and everything is peachy.

---

My initial thoughts about this issue is that the problem is KoL itself doing Huggler Radio messages incorrectly for "old" chat: it does not give them a channel - so we interpret them as "system" messages - and it does not tag them as being from "HMC Radio", like it does for "modern" chat.

I will submit a bug report to that effect. I don't really see that we can do anything to fix it. Well, we could look for "<name1> just devastated <name2>!" in messages that do not have channel tags, and prepend it with "[pvp] HMC Radio:" or something, but I think KoL needs to do the real fix.

Veracity

Developer
Staff member
Bug report submitted:

(Tested with vanilla KoL in Safari)

I have a Huggler Radio. I am in clan and am listening to php.

If I have the "modern" (tabbed) chat, I see messages like this in channel [pvp]

HMC Radio: Very Flash just defeated DiscoShen!

If I have the "old" chat, I see messages like this:

Very Flash just defeated DiscoShen!

I would have hoped to see:

[pvp] HMC Radio: Very Flash just defeated DiscoShen!
Let's see if they have anything to say about this.

Veracity

Developer
Staff member
OK, revision 11231 has a hack: if we don't see a normal channel & sender in a message, normally that is an "event" message. If we can parse it as a Huggler Radio message, assume it is in channel "/pvp" from sender "HMC Radio".

Hopefully, KoL will fix the bug and I can remove this code, eventually, but it SHOULDN'T break anything even after they fix the bug, since we'll just pick up channel and sender the normal way and not even make this check.

Winterbay

OK, revision 11231 has a hack: if we don't see a normal channel & sender in a message, normally that is an "event" message. If we can parse it as a Huggler Radio message, assume it is in channel "/pvp" from sender "HMC Radio".

Hopefully, KoL will fix the bug and I can remove this code, eventually, but it SHOULDN'T break anything even after they fix the bug, since we'll just pick up channel and sender the normal way and not even make this check.

Any chance a similar problem is giving rise to the popcorn-message being treated as a system message? (see here)

Veracity

Developer
Staff member
It looks similar. I suspect that the popcorn muncher is not tagged like a normal "sender" - somebody you can click on to pull up the profile - and we interpret it as an event.