Issue with Daily/hourly builds since r13903

Bizarre Puppet

Since r13903 i havent been able to use any mafia daily/hourly builds succesfully for more than 5 minutes. Normally they work then after about 5 minutes everything stops and when i log out and try to log back in all it does is....
"Validating login server" then jumps straight to "requests Complete"

Can someone help me on this as its annoying having to switch the .jar files around.

On a seperate note this started happening a few days after i installed the bumcheekascend script and the BumSeMan0.2 and started to use them for my multis.
Any help would be much appreciated.

fronobulax

Developer
Staff member
Since r13903 i havent been able to use any mafia daily/hourly builds succesfully for more than 5 minutes. Normally they work then after about 5 minutes everything stops and when i log out and try to log back in all it does is....
"Validating login server" then jumps straight to "requests Complete"

Can someone help me on this as its annoying having to switch the .jar files around.

On a seperate note this started happening a few days after i installed the bumcheekascend script and the BumSeMan0.2 and started to use them for my multis.
Any help would be much appreciated.

Pro tip - do not use the word "annoying" in any post that might possible be construed as a request for help. And please do not take this advice as some kind of attack that you have to defend yourself from. That particular word sets several sets of teeth on edge and since the dev team consists of unpaid volunteers it is just a nicer place when we can focus on the technical problem at hand.

Since no one else is reporting this it is probably related to your specific environment, although the solution may lie elsewhere.

Which operating system and which version of Java?

Can you log into plain vanilla KoL and get normal screens - not in a choice or the middle of an adventure?

When you say "work after five minutes and then everything stops" what are you trying to do - auto adventure, run scripts, spam chat or what? How do you know everything stops? Does the KoLmafia status pane change color or is there a message in the log file?

Are you on a challenge path or trying to do something with an Item of the Month?

Is your computer underpowered or lacking in memory? Does the memory usage meter, in the upper right, seem to suggest KoLmafia needs more memory than it is getting?

Are there any debug logs or interesting messages in the session logs?

I sincerely doubt that most of these have anything to do with your particular problem but the answers might help someone understand the problem and eliminate things that have bee issues in the past.

Bizarre Puppet

1. I am running win7 32bit with latest java
2. Yes i can log into Normal Kol and also Mafia pre r13903 (I am currently logged in to it adventuring fine)
3. I literally mean everything stops, If im in the relay The central pane goes white, and will not load anything, also the left and right panes wont refresh or update (in the case of the chat pane) if im in Mafia itself I get the red side panel and no error message (which i find weird) i cant find anything to say what the issue is, and its not producing a DEBUG log.
4. I have 5 accounts on different paths and different classes and it does the same regardless of each one. No irregular IOTM usage.
5. I am running 4gb of DDR2, and i dont generally have anything else running in the background while playing KoL other than a browser window (certainly nothing as Memory dependant to crash Mafia)

Like i said in my original post, i can run Mafia Pre r13903 Fine, but when i downloaded and installed r13921 the issue started and it has been happening since with all version Post r13903 (even the ones that worked before installing r13921). I have spoken to people in game and they are also saying they have no issues with the latest builds. I have checked through my computer and everything looks fine on that end. I even fully removed all Mafia files from my computer and reinstalled it all from scratch, still the same.....
Thats why i'm stumped for an answer.

Apologese, also, if my wording offended anyone....

lostcalpolydude

Developer
Staff member
So, 13904 doesn't work for you then? It sound like you tried that version, but it isn't clear. None of the changes for that revision should have caused any issues...

Bizarre Puppet

Nope, not a single Hourly or nightly build past ..903, Not even ..904...... I have downloaded and checked every single one.
Normally i only get the latest one every morning at about 9am GMT (904 wasnt one of those) but when i got to 921 and it started playing up for me i made sure to check every single one since 903, its always the same thing as well it works for about 5-10 minutes then crashes without giving any kind of reason as to why.
I've gone back through my System settings and Java and anything that may be effecting it and i still cant find anything.

xKiv

903 "only" changed some monster data, but the two releases around it are about sneaky pete. Are you a sneaky pete?
I have been having pretty typical experience (except a couple of times, when it seemed like doing things in relay browser while mafia is running svn update can result in a dysfunction randomly/rarely/not-repeatably-on-demand), but I haven't ascended in a long time.

ETA: it might also be worth metioning that I get the sources from svn and run my own build in eclipse. That's *a* difference.

fronobulax

Developer
Staff member
Thank you. I'm stumped at the moment.

What are you calling the "latest version of Java"? And to clarify, are you running 32 or 64 bit Win 7 and if the latter 32 or 64 bit Java?

I'm running
java version "1.6.0_25"
Java(TM) SE Runtime Environment (build 1.6.0_25-b06)
Java HotSpot(TM) Client VM (build 20.0-b11, mixed mode, sharing)
on this machine which is 64 bit Windows 7 SP1. It's not the latest Java but this is a work machine and Java 7 actually breaks some of the code I am trying to maintain.

Since you mention the relay browser, what is it and are you using a system default or the mafia preference to specify it?

Really out on a limb but is there any possibility that what you downloaded got corrupted in the process? Highly unlikely, I agree but grasping at straws sometimes works and at least gives the illusion of progress.

If you log in and then just let things sit for 5 minutes does it "stop working"?

Same as above but open the relay browser and then let sit?