images

I see no easy method to grab the image name for a given item (or effect or skill for that matter) in ASH.
Is there something I'm overlooking or am I left to create my own method for obtaining?

In the case of the latter which method seems better:
Poll the itemdesc of each item as I need it and steal the image link from that
-OR-
Whenever I encounter an image in game, check the item against a file, and add it if it's not there, and in the case that I attempt to use the image before ever seeing it in game, revert to the first method (only this time save the link).

I'm making a messages.php override, and I'd like to store the messages locally instead of having to retrieve them from KoL every time... I debated just leaving out the item images altogether, but clan consensus is that the images should appear next to the names.

I do.
But that doesn't help me with the image.

Unless you meant image, in which case I'd rather opt for one of the first two options I gave, because a complete list seems more useful than saving the image for the same item over and over again for different messages (For instance my daily correspondence with smashbot contains the same handful of items every time)

Bale

Minion
Excuse me, I meant "image name", not item. Sorry.

Make your own list of image names as they come up. No reason that you cannot save a mapfile with image names as you get to them. Though I don't really see why it is a problem to save the image name for each message. It doesn't take up much HD space after all.