How Mafia Spends Meat

Ran into an interesting case today.

I gave the command "use 1 phial of hotness"

Mafia chose to spend 130 meat on hot powder and used my scrumptious reagent (mall price = 975) to make one phial of hotness (mall price = 420) instead of buying it, which would have been the correct outcome.

So Mafia spent twice what it should have to obtain the effect. I think I understand why it did this, given that the actual meat outlay was less, but what if there were an option to have Mafia consider the opportunity cost of what it was doing instead of just spending as little meat as possible? In this case, it would require only one more check to get the price of scrumptious reagents before deciding what to do, though in some other cases the calculation might be more server-load heavy.

Anyone have any thoughts on this?

Alhifar

Mafia assumes all items in your inventory are worth their autosell price. Thus, that reagent in your inventory was considered worth 1 meat to mafia. I'd reccomend closeting/placing in the mall all items like reagents and such.

Rinn

Developer
I don't think it would be an absurd request for item creation to check mall price, especially since all requests for prices are cached and would only happen once a session.

Bale

Minion
KolMafia does check mall price. It is only items in your inventory that are worth autosell in this calculation.

lostcalpolydude

Developer
Staff member
KolMafia does check mall price. It is only items in your inventory that are worth autosell in this calculation.

The "items in inventory = autosell value" assumption seems like a good reason to not let mafia do those things for you. Chances are I wouldn't let mafia do those things anyway because I don't trust that much automation, but stuff like this just confirms that I'm wise to not let mafia choose for me.

Bale

Minion
if you agree with lostcalpolydude, then turn off mafia's preference to automatically purchase things in the mall.

Rinn

Developer
I meant mall price of the item you want to buy and the components regardless of whether or not they're in your inventory before deciding it would be better to create instead of buying, I assumed that was implied based on the topic at hand.

Last edited:
I meant mall price of the item you want to buy and the components regardless of whether or not they're in your inventory before deciding it would be better to create instead of buying, I assumed that was implied based on the topic at hand.

Yes, this is exactly what I was suggesting. Having to closet your reagents every single day to avoid these kinds of problems seems silly.

HippoKing

Yeah, it sort of annoys me that I have to be careful to keep more phials than I'll ever need in my inventory so I can use the CLI's "use phial of ..." without having it waste reagents on making single phials out of them.