Bug - Fixed Hidden City (automatic) infinitely loops when Hidden City is unavailable

stannius

Went to try out the new, and I assume awesome "Hidden City (automatic)" adventuring location. Unfortunately I neglected to open it before doing so. I got a bunch of copies of this, until I declared world peace:
Code:
Visit to Woods: Hidden City (automatic) in progress...

[769] Hidden     City (Square 1)
Encounter:

Veracity

Developer
Staff member
Could I have a debug log, please? (Not an infinite one; just the first request and its response). I need to see what KoL returns when you submit a URL to go to the Hidden City before it is open.

Thanks.

Last edited:

stannius

Could I have a debug log, please? (Not an infinite one; just the first request and its response). I need to see what KoL returns when you submit a URL to go to the Hidden City before it is open.

Thanks.

Unfortunately a debug log was not automatically created (no exception was thrown) and I have already moved past that quest. How does one force creation of a debug log?

Veracity

Developer
Staff member
Go to the Help menu and select Start Debug Log.
When you are done, select Stop Debug Log.

Theraze

Ha! I did still have one character this ascension series who hadn't finished the macguffin. Debug log attached. Also included below is the blank-page HTML that KoL offers.
PHP:
<!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.0 Transitional//EN">
<HTML><HEAD>
<META content="text/html; charset=utf-8" http-equiv=Content-Type></HEAD>
<BODY></BODY></HTML>

Attachments

• DEBUG_20120124.txt
    35.3 KB · Views: 40

Veracity

Developer
Staff member
So, it doesn't give you a message - like "You shouldn't be here" or "You can't get there" or any of the other standard messages is uses elsewhere. It simply returns a blank page.

That would be a KoL bug. We should probably detect it and abort adventuring with the comment that KoL returned a blank page.

Veracity

Developer
Staff member
Try revision 10298. When KoL returns a blank page in response to a request to adventure somewhere, we report "KoL returned a blank page." and go red and stop automation. I could have made it say "You can't get there" or something, but I figure this is safer. Same effect, anyway.

Is your character still in a position to test this, Theraze?

Theraze

Unfortunately not... I could try them against one of the sea locations maybe though. Not sure if it returns the same blank page if you haven't unlocked it.

As I'm thinking about it, I'll probably ascend my temporary aftercore character today and then I'll be able to test... hopefully that might happen within an hour or two. Finally time to get them that NZPR they've always wanted.

roippi

Developer
r10299

Code:
Validating adventure sequence...

Visit to Woods: Hidden City (automatic) in progress...
KoL returned a blank page.

debug log (of KoL returning a blank page) attached.

Attachments

• DEBUG_20120124.txt
    9.3 KB · Views: 390

Veracity

Developer
Staff member
In other words, it behaved as expected: it failed the adventure with a message "KoL returned a blank page."

Thanks!

Winterbay

KoL does something similar if you try to enter the hidden city (i.e. load hiddencity.php, not adventure there) while drunk. I reported it to KoL a while back and got the reply from Gemelli that it's a known oddity that may get fixed at some point. Basically it appears that hiddencity.php does strange things.

Veracity

Developer
Staff member
It says "You're too drunk to screw around in a jungle, bungling or otherwise." but shows you the map, anyway.

Since we don't count visiting the Hidden City map as an adventure, we don't bother looking for that message as indication of an adventure failure.

Winterbay

It says "You're too drunk to screw around in a jungle, bungling or otherwise." but shows you the map, anyway

Oh? They must've changed that since I reported it then. At the time I just wanted to go and see how many squares I had left to adventure in, but couldn't get the map to load at all.