Bug - Not A Bug Getting council quests I do not want yet

Ruby Eyes

I couldn't find anything in this forum that would explain this as being implemented as a feature, so I'll post it as a bug report. If this was supposed to be a feature, I'd like a setting to switch this off.

Recently, mafia does not only offer a link to the council when I level, it also just visits the council without my consent (and without me clicking that link).

I do not like this for several reasons:
- For some levels, I get an item from the council which I would like to use immediately using the right-click menu. I suppose fully-fledged mafia users would just use the [use] link next to it. Whatever, neither option is there when mafia visits the council in the background. I have to use the according items using other methods (cobb's knob map) or I often simply forget about them (strange leaflet).
- When I happen to have teleportitis active while levelling, I suddenly have yet another zone open to teleport into. Thanks very muchly ...
- Due to the background-visit to the council, the top pane in relay does not reload, so I don't get new zone links such as for woods or the lair.

I've been using r10572 and r10576, both do the same thing, also some earlier version on my laptop for which I forgot the number - r105xx.

jwylot

It can be disruptive finding yourself before the council as a result of clicking the "again" button. Could we please make this an unfeature request. Thanks :)

Ruby Eyes

Well ... I noticed it when clicking the council link and always got the "why aren't you done yet?!" repeated visit message instead of the proper initial quest text.

Veracity

Developer
Staff member
It can be disruptive finding yourself before the council as a result of clicking the "again" button. Could we please make this an unfeature request. Thanks :)
That was an accidental bug which I fixed two days ago, in version 10564. What version are YOU running?

jwylot

Hi. May have been happening on an older version. Currently I'm on r10584 and won't level now before my next ascension so I can't check. Thanks.

Veracity

Developer
Staff member
Recently, mafia does not only offer a link to the council when I level, it also just visits the council without my consent (and without me clicking that link).
Are you running a daily build from here? We have no code to do that - although lost's custom builds do that. This is from my session log today:

You gain 10 Fortitude
You gain a Muscle point!
You gain a Level!
You gain 2 Mysteriousness
You gain 2 Smarm

da.php?whichtree=2&action=borisskill
You learned a new skill: Song of Accompaniment

You acquire an item: Evilometer

main.php?action=clancy
Encounter: Your Minstrel Stamps
Took choice 573/1: unknown
choice.php?pwd&whichchoice=573&option=1
Notice what happened.

- I gained a level after battle. I was presented with to links: [boris] and [council]
- I clicked on [boris] and bought a Boris skill
- I navigated to the Council and they gave me the quest and the Evilometer.

In other words, KoLmafia did not automatically visit the Council. That does not surprise me, since there is no code in the standard KoLmafia to do so.

I do not like this for several reasons:
- For some levels, I get an item from the council which I would like to use immediately using the right-click menu. I suppose fully-fledged mafia users would just use the [use] link next to it. Whatever, neither option is there when mafia visits the council in the background. I have to use the according items using other methods (cobb's knob map) or I often simply forget about them (strange leaflet).
- When I happen to have teleportitis active while levelling, I suddenly have yet another zone open to teleport into. Thanks very muchly ...
- Due to the background-visit to the council, the top pane in relay does not reload, so I don't get new zone links such as for woods or the lair.
Yes, for all those reasons, I did not import lost's patch to automatically visit the council when you level. Regarding the last one, I would like to point out the little [re] link at the lower right corner of the topmenu. That is inserted by KoLmafia and will refresh the topmenu for you.

I've been using r10572 and r10576, both do the same thing, also some earlier version on my laptop for which I forgot the number - r105xx.
There is no code in standard KoLmafia to do this. I ask again: are you using lost's build?

Ruby Eyes

r10584: just levelled in combat, went directly to my quest log, saw the new level's quest text.

edit: Indeed I do. I went for that one a long time ago when I was annoyed with original mafia just swapping my autoattack setting away from my fancy combat macro. Does it do that still?

I guess I'll contact him then?

Last edited:

Veracity

Developer
Staff member
Well ... I noticed it when clicking the council link and always got the "why aren't you done yet?!" repeated visit message instead of the proper initial quest text.
In the Lost's mafia builds thread, Lost wrote:

When you gain a level, this makes you visit the council in the background so you can automatically pick up any new quests. It won't happen if you're in the middle of a fight when it happens (hipster or divine items, maybe) since the request would fail anyway.
I responded:

I do think that the "newbie mafia user" would be confused to go visit the Council after gaining a level and be told "stop slacking! get on with the quest we gave you!".
Did I call it, or what? ;)

Last edited:

Ruby Eyes

(I've never read that thread about his (previously bmaher's) version, I was confident they'd put any changes of their own on their download page ...)

So. I've finally found a character of mine that could gain a level today AND get more council visit results, and tested with the original r10584.
It does not auto-visit the council (I had and still have the Holy MacGuffin in my inventory), AND it does not modify my autoattack settings according to its own taste, like the old v12(?) did (told you, that was a long time ago!)

Thank you very much for pointing this out, and the other thing, too :) Just pretend this thread never existed, please.