Focus During Login - I Would Like To Disable It

Raven434

Is there a Java or Mafia setting to keep Windows focus from reverting to Mafia as it logs in?

I start Mafia up and I would prefer it just stay in the background and not come to the foreground when it logs in.

Thanks.

Veracity

Developer
Staff member
On my Mac, when I start up KoLmafia and tell it to log in a character, if I then bring another program to the foreground and start using it, I eventually see the Adventure Frame pop up after the character is logged in - behind whatever windows have been placed in front of it by my actions. If that's not what happens to you, it sounds like what you are seeing is a Windows-ism. Maybe some day one of the developers will buy a Windows machine and will be able to see and understand your issue.

asturia

Minion
Or you could install vmware server or VirtualBox and install a virtual windows machine? :)
Can you imagine Virtual BSOD? :)

Raven434

On my Mac, when I start up KoLmafia and tell it to log in a character, if I then bring another program to the foreground and start using it, I eventually see the Adventure Frame pop up after the character is logged in - behind whatever windows have been placed in front of it by my actions.

That is *exactly* what happens.

What I was wondering is if there is a way to make it just stay in the background as it was initially placed?

kain

I don't have Mafia claim focus. I open it, tell it to log in, go back to my mail client or web browser or whatever and my notifications window, chat pane, cli window and adventure pane all happily stay in the background until I go fetch them.

>=just to test ... logs in a multi ... yup, everything stayed in the background=<

Windows XP SP3

Raven434

I explained my reply wrong to Veracity's reply.

If I start Mafia, and then go do something else, i.e read e-mail, when Mafia starts it opens up right over the top of my e-mail client taking the foreground focus.

Kain - I am running the exact same version of Windows. What Look and Feel boxes do you have check-marked?

Thanks.

Spiny

I don't have windows, but the below link may help solve your problem. This is just the first thing I clicked on when searching google. As with any suggested change to registry, don't do it unless you're careful and have things backed up in case of a problem. It mentions another possible option at the bottom in case you don't want to mess with the registry:

http://pcsupport.about.com/od/windowsxp/ht/stealingfocus02.htm

-Spiny

Bale

Minion
If I start Mafia, and then go do something else, i.e read e-mail, when Mafia starts it opens up right over the top of my e-mail client taking the foreground focus.

This is a windows issue. Microsoft provides a solution.

TweakUI (one of the Microsoft Powertoys) -> General -> Focus -> Prevent applications from stealing focus

Edit: Ah. Didn't realize there was another page to this thread. :cool: This is essentially the same answer that Spiny gave half an hour ago. I'll count myself ninja'ed. Very slowly ninja'ed by my own lack of perception.

Last edited: