Feature Disallow consumption of memento items

Alecat

Having just been an idiot an not checking my cursor position after eating 3 spectral pickles, I went to eat a fourth and accidentally ate my radio button candy.

I did have this item marked as a memento and was hoping that it would protect me from this scenario. If I'm understanding the purpose of the flag, I think it would be a reasonable request to have mementos protected from crafting/consumption.

PS I seem to recall the item selection didn't previously change position after consumption. Any chance that could be implemented (again)?

lostcalpolydude

Developer
Staff member
PS I seem to recall the item selection didn't previously change position after consumption. Any chance that could be implemented (again)?

I don't think anything has been changed recently with that part of the Item Manager. What happened is that you ate spectral pickles (4 fullness) until you only had 3 full left. This caused spectral pickles to move down on the list, and radio button candy probably filled in its spot (I'm guessing you have "by room" checked). At the very least, I would expect focus to have moved away from spectral pickles.

The more important part of the post, protecting memento items, seems reasonable. Would it be a confirmation box, or just not do it? Since I don't use the memento section, I don't really know what a good interface would be.

Last edited:

Catch-22

The more important part of the post, protecting memento items, seems reasonable. Would it be a confirmation box, or just not do it? Since I don't use the memento section, I don't really know what a good interface would be.

I'd say just don't do it, don't even list it. Memento items, by definition, are items which should always be kept.

Alecat

I agree, mementos should work as a "keep all" and not be consumable or craftable. I notice there's also no clear way to unmark mementos, so I'd suggest:
a) Display it in that olive colour and warn on attempted consumption, leave things as they are with no way within Mafia to uncheck something as a memento
b) Don't display it in consumption menus at all, allow for it to be unmarked as a memento in the memento listing.

(I had stomach of steel so did have space to eat another pickle, so not sure what was up with the focus there. I should know not to blindly click about there though, for the reasons you've described.)

Thanks guys :)

roippi

Developer
r11234 doesn't display memento items in food/booze/spleen tabs. A concoctions refresh is necessary after adding to/removing from mementos in order to keep that display up to date. This commit did not do that.

A more general (and better) solution might be to disallow concoctions involving mementos entirely from being generated in ConcoctionDatabase. I didn't want to think about the unintended consequences of that right now so I just did the simplest thing I could think of.

Lord_Kobel

I'm guessing this is why I couldn't find my roc feathers or distilled wines then? I use the memento marking to show important things, but often something I'll still want to eat. Any chance of making this an option instead of an always?

Catch-22

I'm guessing this is why I couldn't find my roc feathers or distilled wines then? I use the memento marking to show important things, but often something I'll still want to eat. Any chance of making this an option instead of an always?

That's not what the memento list was intended for. What you're describing sounds to me like "favourites", which you should open a feature request for :)