Feature Default condition for A-Boo Peak

Bale

Minion
Please add "3 A-Boo clue" as the default condition for A-Boo Peak. I've found that's the number I always need. If someone else's milage is different, it is easier to change the quantity than to write in the name of the item.

Theraze

Or having +1 a-boo clue instead, so people can easily just run it if they don't have enough spooky/cold res to clear it in 3 clues.

Bale

Minion
Or having +1 a-boo clue instead, so people can easily just run it if they don't have enough spooky/cold res to clear it in 3 clues.

That'd be a little dumb. You want to use all your clues in a row because otherwise your elemental resistance buffs will wear off while you are adventuring and looking for the next clue. A bunch of such protections could easily be items of which you don't have more than one.

Theraze

I see the default conditions as there for newbies who have no idea what they're doing and less so for those who are just trying to save 5 seconds typing in what they know they want every time. Is it more likely that a newbie will prebuff to the point where 3 will complete the peak for them, or that they'll just use them unbuffed and end up collecting 6 or more because the default condition grabs 3 at a time?

Fluxxdog

EDIT: posted just after Theraze's reply

Running one clue then hunting for another does seem impractical, but I think Theraze is saying "What if you need more than that?" I mean, best case scenario, it'd take 3 clues and 4 fights to finish A-boo peak. It would make more sense to have enough clues first, but that's going to be very variable. If you're in SC, it'd be easy enough to pull what you need to survive. HC, your resources are limited. Honestly, +1 would make more sense. I mean, if you get your second clue after so many fights that you only need 2 to now finish it off, why hunt for a 3rd? For that matter, what if you get your third clue but it turns out you can only survive enough of the non-com that you'd need 4 clues?

3 is a very specific number that requires strategy, one that really does need to be re-evaluated WHEN you get each clue, not to mention luck (clue drops). Looking at the Black Forest, one of the goals is 1 black picnic basket. This is for the black pepper, which is only guaranteed after the 5th basket used in a day. It's not +1 because you only want to adventure until you have one, which you then would use to see if you got the black pepper, then hunt some more if not. The +1 for clues would make more sense because you want stop when you get another one to see if it's time. A carefully planned sequence would have you adventure a certain number of turns maximum OR when your next clue, which would effectively reduce the number of turns you must spend.

Let's say you can arrange it so each clue you use cuts 22% (4 successful, fifth beaten up). That's 88% with 4 clues, but that strategy would still save turns if you started using your 4 clues before hitting 68%. Once at 68%, using a fourth clue or getting in to a fight has the same effect, namely finishing off that last 2%. Then only 3 clues are needed until 46%, and so on. Because of this constant need to recheck your standing, it's best to consider it after getting each clue.

+1 would be a better goal since the number required is not 3. 98% is required. I mean, look at it from a Bad Moon scenario. Could you guarantee you could use 3 clues in 3 turns to clear the peak?

Bale

Minion
I see the default conditions as there for newbies who have no idea what they're doing and less so for those who are just trying to save 5 seconds typing in what they know they want every time. Is it more likely that a newbie will prebuff to the point where 3 will complete the peak for them, or that they'll just use them unbuffed and end up collecting 6 or more because the default condition grabs 3 at a time?

I think I figured out our miscommunication. Are you under the impression that clues auto-use themselves at the time you get them? They originally worked that way, but Jick changed it a few months ago. Collect all three clues, leaving them in your inventory and then when you have all a total of three, you use all three of them in sequence requiring a total of three turns of buffing.

+1 would be a better goal since the number required is not 3. 98% is required. I mean, look at it from a Bad Moon scenario. Could you guarantee you could use 3 clues in 3 turns to clear the peak?

I have never gotten all three clues in less than 9 turns. Although I could always +1 if that turned out to be true I'd have to watch my adventuring very closely since once I go over a total of 9 combats at the peak, my 3 clues are sufficient. On the other hand, if I was to take 39 turns or more at the peak, I'd only need 2 clues. In that case it can be limited by simply not adventuring for more than 40 turns at the peak before checking to see how many clues you've managed to get.

A 9 to 39 turn window to get 3 clues seems pretty broad.

Last edited:

Theraze

I'm not saying that they get auto-used. I'm saying that the 'average' player doesn't have practically everything permed and so they only survive a few rounds of the clue. Also, since they may not have the tongues or various +naps permed, they may not be able to easily cure beaten up. As such, the 2% for losing the end of the clue may actually cost them more than it helps, and they may not finish it off.

You're working on the basis of you, an experienced player of many years. I'm trying to make things not suck for people coming into this without your years of experience who say...
3 clues? Does that guarantee me success? Great!
*uses the first and gets beaten up after 3 steps*
*uses the second without healing except for their sad balm hp-regen quest item and gets beaten up at step 1*
*uses the third and gets beaten up*
Hey! It didn't work!
*angry*
Whereas with +1, you either change the +1 to 3 or just run +1 3 times quickly. Easy.