New Content - Rejected Connect via IP no longer works and should be removed

roippi

Developer
I seem to recall that that setting was being used by some people as a workaround for something. We could follow the redirect, but I imagine that would remove the point of whatever the workaround was?

eta: 11175 disables it temporarily, since it's not helping anyone to keep it as a broken option.

Last edited:

Catch-22

I think people may have been using it to bypass certain URL blockers (content firewalls etc.), I can only suggest they either connect through a proxy (you can host proxies on your home connection pretty easily) or run some sort of remote desktop to their home PC or something. I don't think this change will be going away in a hurry, it's just how the load balancer works.

Another case for a robust WebGUI :) Wouldn't it be slick to access KoLmafia running on your PC at home without ever having to connect to KoL servers at school/work?

Catch-22

Not if your work computer doesn't allow that to be set up :)

I don't know if your work computer doesn't allow installations, or if it's just a restrictive firewall, but TightVNC has a portable edition. I believe TeamViewer can also be "installed" without Administrator access, so that might also work. TeamViewer runs on port 80 by default so it's usually easier to trick a restrictive firewall.

Failing that, you could set a proxy up at home :)

Winterbay

Failing that, you could set a proxy up at home :)

TEchnically yes, practically no. I need to go through a specified proxy to connect to the intranet (and then the internet). Setting up the computer to work with any other kind of proxy makes the internet work, but not the intranet and thus makes my job impossible :)

roippi

Developer
"New Content - temporary workaround implemented but then rolled back because KoL fixed the issue" tag needed

r11181