Bug - Not A Bug Cannot cast "Empathy of the Newt" skill

I have a character that through several ascensions has the permanent ability Empathy of the Newt. I did not complete the epic weapons quest, but I do have the necessary Turtle Totem to cast this ability. When going natively through KoL or through the web gui included with KoLmafia, I can cast the ability. When I try directly through the KoLmafia app, I get an error that "You need 1 more chisel to continue."

This has occurred through several versions of KoLmafia, including the JAR build of 15.2 r11180.

Darzil

Developer
I would guess it's due to the fact that Mafia will always want to use the legendary Turtle Weapon so it gets 10 turns per cast rather than 5, as it's cheap and saves a lot of MP, and that you have it configured such that it cannot get it automatically. If you make (or buy) the legendary weapon, this will work, and once you have one it'll be available aftercore forever.

Ethelred

I have a character that through several ascensions has the permanent ability Empathy of the Newt. I did not complete the epic weapons quest, but I do have the necessary Turtle Totem to cast this ability. When going natively through KoL or through the web gui included with KoLmafia, I can cast the ability. When I try directly through the KoLmafia app, I get an error that "You need 1 more chisel to continue."

This has occurred through several versions of KoLmafia, including the JAR build of 15.2 r11180.

Try making a Mace of the Tortoise and see if this solves your problem. I seem to remember that mafia "protects" you from casting buffs without the LEW in aftercore.

lostcalpolydude

Developer
Staff member
This is intentional to save server hits. Get an epic weapon (cheap from the mall, if nothing else) and you'll be good to go.

Veracity

Developer
Staff member
I believe it only does this if you are out-of-Ronin, at which time, a few-thousand-Meat one-time-only expense really should not be a problem for anybody. At worst, it should cost 1 piece of gum + 1 clover + 1 adventure + (if you cannot get to Innabox) 1 Tenderizing Hammer.

Or, just buy a Mace of the Tortoise in the mall, as lost suggests.

Theraze

But then, do you ignore and buy from the mall at 3* the price or ignore and craft, probably costing adventures and turns of their farming buffs...

I think letting it fail is good. Maybe we need to improve the error message though.