Feature - Implemented AutoBuyPriceLimit not respected

psly4mne

Code:
> get autoBuyPriceLimit

> acquire entrep

Searching for "hodgman's journal #2: entrepreneurythmics"...
Purchasing Hodgman's journal #2: Entrepreneurythmics (1 @ 170,000)...
You acquire an item: Hodgman's journal #2: Entrepreneurythmics
Purchases complete.

In this case, this behavior was what I wanted, but I was under the impression that 'acquire' should not spend more than autoBuyPriceLimit on an item.

Veracity

Developer
Staff member
Nope. You are explicitly telling it to go get the item. The setting only applies to "automated" purchases, and the CLI "acquire" and "buy" commands, as well as ASH retrieve_item(), are interpreted as NOT being the result of automation.

Edit: Now that I look at it, ASH retrieve_item() is assumed to be "automated". That's weird.

Last edited:

Winterbay

Just to see that I understand this correctly then: Is an "automated" purchase one that happens during automated adventuring or is there some other functions (well apart form the retrieve_item() apparently) that are considered "automated"?

Veracity

Developer
Staff member
Any time that KoLmafia calls its internal "retrieve item" function to make sure that something is in inventory, if you have autoSatisfyWithMall set to true, it will buy things from the mall, if necessary, and obey the autoBuyPriceLimit. Buying restoratives, buy ingredients for concoctions, whatever.
If you explicitly type the "acquire" command into the CLI, that calls the same function, but that is deemed to be YOUR decision, and, therefore, not "automated".

Considering that you can the CLI "acquire" command into a script - and it behaves the same as if you'd typed it into the CLI - it is weird that the ASH retrieve_item function does not behave the same way. Or, perhaps, that "acquire" does not behave the same way as retrieve_item, when executed from a script, although that would be the first time a command would behave differently from the CLI vs. from a script, which seems like a bad precedent.

Bale

Minion
There it is! Fallout from letting mafia purchase items with autosale value of 0. I wondered if I might find a problem with that if I waited long enough.

Veracity, I think it is best if you would subject acquire to the autoBuyPriceLimit, even if the user explicitly types it. Remember when we were considering automatically purchasing un-discardable items we were counting on autoBuyPriceLimit to block the expensive ones. Sadly this behavior of acquire was not understood during that discussion. It might be best if violating autoBuyPriceLimit was limited to the buy command.

Please consider this as a feature request.