ASH converter

gxc

This is probably an incredible noobish question, but I've spent the last half hour trying to find the answer. Where can I get an ASH converter/editor to code in ASH?

hippymon

Nowhere. Well, I highly doubt you will find one, but if you have a CLI script or general functioning of the script I and others will help you put it together... Or, some people are willing to create the whole thing for you based on your wants/needs *me*... ;)

gxc

How do you (whoever would convert it) put it together? Dev team? I'm fluent in Java and C++, so the CLI coding doesn't do it for me, and I'm interested in playing around with ASH.

So I should just type up any ASH scripts and post them in the appropriate forum?

Veracity

Developer
Staff member
What do you mean by "converter"?

An ASH script is just a text file with a mostly Java-like syntax. I use Java-mode in Emacs to edit ASH scripts. You just save the script in a regular text file with the ".ash" extension and ask KoLmafia to execute it by typing the filename of the script into the gCLI - "choose-outfit.ash", or whatever.

hippymon

[quote author=gxc link=topic=1293.msg5978#msg5978 date=1193522839]
How do you (whoever would convert it) put it together? Dev team? I'm fluent in Java and C++, so the CLI coding doesn't do it for me, and I'm interested in playing around with ASH.

So I should just type up any ASH scripts and post them in the appropriate forum?
[/quote]

If you know how to do any of it type some up then post it in the appropriate forums. Or if you don't know how to do any than some people will help. I would be willing to, I am always looking for some sort of scripting to do.. As far as putting it together, that is hard to say.... It all depends on what you want your script to do, different functions have different ways to set them up therefore different ways of "putting them together".

[quote author=Veracity link=topic=1293.msg5979#msg5979 date=1193523528]
What do you mean by "converter"?

An ASH script is just a text file with a mostly Java-like syntax. I use Java-mode in Emacs to edit ASH scripts. You just save the script in a regular text file with the ".ash" extension and ask KoLmafia to execute it by typing the filename of the script into the gCLI - "choose-outfit.ash", or whatever.
[/quote]

I too wanted a "converter".... By converter I believe gxc means something/someone that will take a gCLI script or a main function of a script and turn it into a .ash script, because as gxc says, gCLI doesn't cut it, it is not worth the time.

gxc

Emacs was the answer I was looking for. I wasn't being specific enough. Notepad doesn't handle ASH files that have already been generated, and that was getting on my nerves. But now I'm good, and I will probably have many questions.

btw, that ASH documentation is amazing.