Allowing ; on cli without ending command

StDoodle

Minion
I'm trying to figure out a way to add mafia log notes (for use by the Ascension Log Visualizer) that doesn't break on a semicolon. For better or worse, I tend to use them a lot when I write; but they don't work well from the cli. Is there any way to parse cli input that will ignore a semicolon? Any convoluted mix of aliasing and calling an ash script is acceptable, as long as I could type, for example:

nb This is my note; it all gets added.

(Where nb is aliased to whatever it needs to be.) Without having mafia stop before " it."

jasonharper

Developer
Use help help to see the list of full-line commands; those are the only possibilities for making an alias that eats semicolons.

alias nb => ash //
will do the job, but produces a "Returned: void" after every use - probably not desirable.

alias nb => alias comment =>
also produces garbage output on each use, but has the advantage(?) of being incredibly confusing.

alias nb => get normally produces no output (unless your note happens to be a single word that matches an existing preference), but will actually create a pref if your note contains an equals sign.

StDoodle

Minion
The problem is (unless I'm misunderstanding) that the only ways I can see to not have a semicolon used as a command break preclude passing text as a parameter, except for the specific uses in "get" and "alias." (So in ways that won't add the specific "Note : [text]" format in the log.)

Edit to add:

The current format for a note that is parsed by the Ascension Log Visualizer is "Note: " followed by the note as it will show in your log. I guess, thinking about it, that a command that ignored semicolons as ash, alias and set/get do and otherwise worked like print or echo, except with "Note: " prepended, would work for me.

Edit 2:

Even if you do manage to add a log note (via ash) with a semicolon, it magically gets a space before it... weird.

Last edited: