_prefs

StDoodle

Minion
Edit to add:

I totally missed the second page when I wrote this. Sorry, kinda out of it right now (had to put down our two-year-old kitty less than an hour ago :().

roippi, just have one daily-reset (via the normal mafia way) preference that in reality controls the resetting. Ie "_myDailiesReset" would be mafia-reset to blank each day; if, when a script runs it sees such a value, it could then call in a more intelligent script to go through all of the individual preferences (which, in such a case, could easily be set for storage as zlib vars or a something-delimited single preference) which included in the preference value information on data type.

/me hope this was intelligible...

Last edited:

roippi

Developer
I understand that, without a sure way to check for success, you don't want to increment the preference. It would just turn into a "how many times did I use this button today" preference.

Correct, that is what I'm trying to avoid.

If users just want to increment the counter by 1, they are free to add a command to do so at the end of the command string.

Veracity

Developer
Staff member
From what I gathered, when using a Skill deed button, you rely on Mafia to increment the associated preference? Mafia only does this for a limited number of skills though.
There is already a Feature Request for us to track all limited-use skills. I don't think I agree with the part that requests that we track ALL skill usages during a session, but yes - we SHOULD have a preference for all limited use skills - and we could/should sync up by looking at the skill casting page. Perhaps even at login. That's another page load, but with the new DB servers, login is already way faster than it was.

Want to take a diversion and address that other Feature Request, roippi? ;)

Sorry, kinda out of it right now (had to put down our two-year-old kitty less than an hour ago :().
I am SO sorry to hear this. :(

roippi

Developer
Want to take a diversion and address that other Feature Request, roippi? ;)

Actually, yeah. That would be a nice diversion. I dislike refactoring my own code because it makes me feel stupid that I didn't do it that way in the first place.

Winterbay

I think the code in question is the code that controls the Custom Daily Deeds in Mafia so it would probably be just as efficient to look it up in the source code for Mafia...