Triva Master Buff

slag

I wrote this tiny script to make getting the Triva Master Buff quicker then doing the cli commands.

Why would anybody want this?

Mall price comparison.
Triva Master(+100% to all stats) for 30 adventures = 1000 meat
Gr8tness(100% to all stats) for 5-15 adventures = 1489 meat

Best case for Gr8ness(Sauceror with Impetuous Sauciness) still makes it almost 3x more for the same affect. Yes this will change once people start using the buff more, but even after the script makes it easier to get the affect so it will still be kind of useful.

Updates
-2: replaced if/buy loop with retrieve_item

Attachments

• TrivaMasterbuff.ash
    753 bytes · Views: 136
  • TrivaMasterbuff-2.ash
    465 bytes · Views: 147
Last edited:

lostcalpolydude

Developer
Staff member
You could use retrieve_item instead of buy, and then you wouldn't have to see if there's already one in inventory. It would also respect people's decision to use the closet, stash, or mall.

Another thing that could be added is checking for the individual effects before using the corresponding item.

Looks like a useful script for stat buffing.

slag

Yep. retrieve_item is better. Plenty for me to learn still I guess.

I'm not sure how much more useful checking for the affects would be. Only case I can think of where that might be useful is someone who has the board game and auto uses the cards he/she generates a day as part of a log in script. That kind of seems like a waste to me since it would give +30% to stats for 1 adv. Most people are probably mall/auto selling the cards, or just letting them accumulate. The other case would be where someone stacked one affect, but in that case getting to triva master kills there X adventures of the +10% all stats anyways.

adeyke

Thanks for reminding me that the trivia master buff exists and is so cheap. It should be quite helpful for me. I decided to modify my copy of the script to check for the presence of the effect. This usually won't do anything (and it doesn't cause any extra server hits), but it's a nice safety check.

(BTW, there's an I in "trivia").

slyz

Developer
Not exactly related to this, but r10822 adds "use 1 Trivial Avocations Card: What?, 1 Trivial Avocations Card: When?, 1 Trivial Avocations Card: Who?, 1 Trivial Avocations Card: Where?" to Trivia master in statuseffects.txt, so that it now appears in the maximizer (and the mood manager will autofill the Command line for it).

slag

Not exactly related to this, but r10822 adds "use 1 Trivial Avocations Card: What?, 1 Trivial Avocations Card: When?, 1 Trivial Avocations Card: Who?, 1 Trivial Avocations Card: Where?" to Trivia master in statuseffects.txt, so that it now appears in the maximizer (and the mood manager will autofill the Command line for it).

So your saying an old update already makes mafia do this?

Bale

Minion
Brand new update. This is not the first script to be released just before mafia adds native functionality to either supplement or supersede it.

Veracity

Developer
Staff member
I like to wait until somebody makes a script to do something that makes me say "whoa - I could make KoLmafia do that and not have to use a script" and then make it so.

:)

Bale

Minion
Fun Fact: Veracity, one of the two people most responsible for the ASH programming language, does not like to use ASH scripts.

slyz

Developer
The Mafia update didn't add a way to get the Trivia Master effect from the gCLI, so the script is still useful.

EDIT: would a "geteffect" command make sense? It would work like "acquire", but for effects: it would simply use whatever is in statuseffect.txt, just like the maximizer does.

Bale

Minion
The command to increase an effect already exists:

Code:
[COLOR="olive"]> up Trivia Master[/COLOR]

Using 1 Trivial Avocations Card: What?...
You acquire an effect: You Know What's Up (duration: 1 Adventure)
Trivia card #143/1200:
Question: What was needed to defeat The Ice Necromancer Evilthing in level 2, "The Astral Peak", in the popular video game "Cyborg Warfare XVIII"?
Answer: A poor kazoo.
Finished using 1 Trivial Avocations Card: What?.
Using 1 Trivial Avocations Card: When?...
You acquire an effect: You Know When to Walk Away (duration: 1 Adventure)
Trivia card #488/1200:
Question: According to
Answer: 2095.
Finished using 1 Trivial Avocations Card: When?.
Using 1 Trivial Avocations Card: Who?...
You acquire an effect: You Know Who to Call (duration: 1 Adventure)
Trivia card #838/1200:
Question: Who won the platinum medal for novel-writing in the 1942 Olympics?
Answer: Lord Simon XIV's marmoset.
Finished using 1 Trivial Avocations Card: Who?.
Using 1 Trivial Avocations Card: Where?...
You lose an effect: You Know What's Up
You lose an effect: You Know When to Walk Away
You lose an effect: You Know Who to Call
[B]You acquire an effect: Trivia Master (duration: 30 Adventures)[/B]
Trivia card #973/1200:
Question: Where was the Vice-Emperor of Crunkleford fired out of a cannon for the crime of being a hick?
Answer: In a granary in Waxton.
Finished using 1 Trivial Avocations Card: Where?.

fronobulax

Developer
Staff member
Fun Fact: Veracity, one of the two people most responsible for the ASH programming language, does not like to use ASH scripts.

Nah. It's called prototyping. You write something this is fairly 'cheap' to create and get some experience with it. If it still seems like a good idea then you implement it 'expensively' knowing already that it will have some value and that some logic flaws have been found and corrected.

slag

I was not expecting this turn of events when I posted, but I guess if one of the high ups like Veracity likes the idea enough to make it base code that's kind of cool.

Bale

Minion
If it reassures you, the name for the command is nearly as bad as the one you suggested while being far less descriptive.