Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: 10483: Make the "semirare window begin" counter a hard stop, rather than informationa

could you please add a option in preferences to see if i want to hard stop for Semirares?
    Originally Posted by mad dudy View Post
    1) make feature requests in the feature request forums, not attached to SVN logs.

2) you'll have to provide a compelling reason that you want it. You can get this functionality right now with a counterscript that doesn't abort.

(ninjaaa)

i was thinking to post here because i saw others talking about it here.
    guess ill make a new thread then.
    sorry for posting it here.

If you don't want it to hard stop, you can avoid it by setting a null counter script,....
    Originally Posted by Theraze View Post
    Wouldn't that make all other counters stop hard stopping too?

So have it check counter type and just return true for FC/SR and false for all others. If it's a hard stop, it will hard stop, otherwise it'll just warn and move on. Anyways, we're massively off-topic, considering what we're discussing now should really be in the scripting discussion section if you're really asking how to write a basic counter checker script.

Developer

I meant if we wanted to make things convenient for people that don't want to bother with a counterScript (since any behavior is possible if you do run one), the begin window counter could be a hard stop only in-run.
    Originally Posted by lostcalpolydude View Post
    I don't want to bother with a counter script. Therefore, 10553.

I don't want to bother with a counter script. Therefore, 10553.
    Originally Posted by holatuwol View Post
    I throw up my hands.

(By the way, "in run" does not mean "in Hardcore". It means "not kingLiberated()")
    Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu
    R'lyeh wgah-nagl fhtagn.

Developer

(By the way, "in run" does not mean "in Hardcore". It means "not kingLiberated()")
    Originally Posted by Veracity View Post
    Yeah, I'd forgotten whether "in hardcore" switched to false after you liberated the king and went with that first, and then later updated to also add a "king liberated" check. Essentially, I was trying to accommodate the people who seemed to dislike it while avoiding stepping on the toes of hardcore players who might be more strategic about it, without realizing that the original request was from someone who ascended softcore.

After a few commits, I've decided to just go with a canInteract() check. Those who are bothered by it and still ascend pretty regularly could code 'counters clear' into their post-ascension script for now, though that may change once I start looking over the preferences UI some more, since it'd be nice to have a section just for ascension-related preferences.

People who dislike having the begin counter be a hard stop are people who are uninterested in semirares. I can prove that with logic:

If you ARE interested in semirares, then you DO want the semirare begin counter to be a hard stop = TRUE

(People who disagree with that are either confused or are ignorant; I can demonstrate the truth of that sentence very easily.)

The contrapositive:

If you DO NOT want the semirare begin counter to be a hard stop, then you ARE NOT interested in semirares = the logical equivalent, and thus also TRUE.

Perhaps the needed preference is "set semirare begin/end counters" so that people who ARE or ARE NOT interested in semirares can have or not have the counters.
    R'lyeh wgah-nagl fhtagn.

People who dislike having the begin counter be a hard stop are people who are uninterested in semirares. I can prove that with logic:

If you ARE interested in semirares, then you DO want the semirare begin counter to be a hard stop = TRUE

(People who disagree with that are either confused or are ignorant; I can demonstrate the truth of that sentence very easily.)

The contrapositive:

If you DO NOT want the semirare begin counter to be a hard stop, then you ARE NOT interested in semirares = the logical equivalent, and thus also TRUE.

Perhaps the needed preference is "set semirare begin/end counters" so that people who ARE or ARE NOT interested in semirares can have or not have the counters.
    I resemble that remark.

I do not normally seek out semirares. However there have been many times when I have been wondering what to do next, seen a semi-rare counter in my status (see below for how it got there) and decided to go for a semi-rare as a target of opportunity. Under those circumstances it would be nice if the begin counter were a hard stop. However I can simulate that by bounding the number of adventures I automate so it is not a big deal.

Since I started this thread with confusion about semi-rare counters getting set, I also realize that when I inadvertently stumble upon one the counter gets set.

I am not consistent in what want for semi-rares either from run to run or within a run.

At the moment, what I would like, if the world were bent to my preferences, would be that a) mafia always displays a semi-rare window if it has any information that would allow it to guess at upper and lower bounds. This would be a feature request since as far as I know mafia does not project out the next window if the current window expires without a semi-rare being found; and b) mafia lets me set a preference that determines whether a semi-rare window beginning is a hard stop, soft stop or no stop.

That said, I'm going to wait until the discussion dies down, the feature stabilizes and probably just give up and run a counter script ;-)
    You just vehemently agreed with me
    I agree with frono.

I ... decided to go for a semi-rare as a target of opportunity. Under those circumstances it would be nice if the begin counter were a hard stop.
    Originally Posted by fronobulax View Post
    You just vehemently agreed with me: If you are interested in a semirare, you want the begin counter to be a hard stop. The rest of the time "I do not normally seek out semirares" (i.e. you are not interested in semirares) and you don't want the begin counter as a hard stop.

Any questions?
    R'lyeh wgah-nagl fhtagn.