Feature - Rejected Does the leaflet solver need an option to stop before the magic word?

Veracity

Developer
Staff member
Each instance of the leaflet quest has either a magic word or a chance to get a trophy (until you buy the trophy; after that; it will always be a magic word). If you use the magic word, you gain 200 substats for each Muscle, Mysticality, and Moxie. The stat gain granted by your moon sign applies: you will gain 220-221 of the appropriate stat.

In run, you will get a flat 200 for two of the stats and 220-221 for your moon-favored stat.

On a stat day in aftercore, the appropriate stat gain is increased.

Before the change to stat days that made them inapplicable in-run, people would use the leaflet to get the grue egg and the house and put off finishing it until they could invoke the magic on a stat day, for a cool 50 or so substats to their prime stat. Today, that is not possible, and I can't imagine that anybody will avoid using the leaflet in a run because they want to get a handful of extra stats in aftercore.

I propose to replace the two versions of the quest solver - "with stats" and "no stats" - with a version that always completes the whole quest.

Comments?

Veracity, I think you raise a very valid point. In Hardcore particularly, and to a lesser extent softcore too, it makes no sense to postpone the Leaflet anymore because of the bonus stats.

I support this change.

Bale

Minion
Excuse me! You all forgot about the April Shower. Someone might want to get the instant house for more free resting MP or grue egg for an omelet, even though they are saving the Shower for powerleveling later in the day. Additional 5% stat gains isn't huge, but it is not meaningless either.

Last edited:

Veracity

Developer
Staff member
Someone might want to get the instant house for more free resting MP or grue egg for an omelet, even though they are saving the Shower for powerleveling later in the day.
Saving ... the ... shower ... um.

Plus 5% stat gains isn't huge, but it is not meaningless either.
5% stat gains ... from ... something.

I am completely confused. I was talking about the Strange Leaflet. What are you talking about?

Bale

Minion
The April Shower can be used to increase mainstat gains by +5% for the next 50 adventures. That can increase stat gains from the Leaflet.

It's a VIP room fixture.

Veracity

Developer
Staff member
Ah. That would never have occurred to me. I always use the shower for MP.

So you are saying that if you use that shower setting before using the leaflet, you will get an extra 10 substats from the magic word.

Do you know anybody who uses the shower & leaflet in the way you are positing - get the house and egg early, get the magic later after using the shower?

lostcalpolydude

Developer
Staff member
I always make sure to have the shower buff active when doing the Leaflet Quest. I would do it exactly like Bale suggests... except that I changed the code in my version long ago to get stats and give a choice about using the house, instead of the other way around, since pre-valhallavamp it seemed like level 9 was always reached on a stat day, and I kept forgetting to use my house.

So ideally what I would want is a way to control using both the house and getting stats. However, I can't think of a good GUI for having 2 options, so I think what I would like is unreasonable. So I've left my change in my version for now due to being indecisive...

roippi

Developer
A compromise might be to change the scripts dropdown to only have the whole quest version, and the .001% of users who still want the nomagic version can access it from gCLI?

Veracity

Developer
Staff member
The Leaflet quest solver gets the house before using the magic word. It has never had an option USE the house. I presume you added that in your version. So, if you could remember to use the house, you could use the existing version of the solver and defer the magic.

Sounds like you want three options:

- get house and egg and quit
- get house and egg and use house and quit
- get house and egg and use house and then finish

Let me ask another question: who would want to NOT use the house as soon as they got it? Answer: somebody who had pulled and installed a better dwelling. We already ask you to confirm if you attempt to use the Item Manager to install a weaker dwelling than the one you have installed. Perhaps we could make the Leaflet quest solver automatically replace a weaker dwelling, but simply get the house and not use it if you have something better.

For reference, here is how we rank the dwellings:

nothing
Newbiesport Tent
Barskin Tent
Cottage
Frobozz House
...and then the rest...

It looks like a House would only auto-replace nothing, the two tents, and a cottage. Who wouldn't do that?

Bale

Minion
I totally agree with you about the House. Every time I did not use it immediately, it was my error, and I would have appreciated the auto-use.

Veracity

Developer
Staff member
Huh. Revision 5915 on Mar 9 2008 by Hola removes the call. I wonder why?

Last edited:

Veracity

Developer
Staff member
Based on the feedback, I'm rejecting this. Having multiple Leaflet options in the Quests menu still irritates me, but, personally, I will continue to always use "Leaflet (with stats)" and always using my House immediately afterwards.

lostcalpolydude

Developer
Staff member
So, my current thoughts on this are that the house should be auto-used if your current dwelling is inferior to a house (nothing, newbiesport tent, barskin tent, or cottage, based on mafia's current check) and you don't have any tasteful gift items in your dwelling. That part is simple enough (the code is already written, in fact).

The other part of my thinking is that if any of those are not true, mafia should ask if you want to use the house anyway. Would this be annoying somehow? Tasteful gift items seem like something many people probably don't use very often, and having something better than a frobozz house by the time you do the leaflet quest seems unlikely.