New Content - Implemented Anapestic Combat

Veracity

Developer
Staff member
Rather than cluttering up the "New Content: January Stuff" thread (a bad idea, BTW, since it subsumes three different items and, presumably, can't be closed until all three are completely supported), this thread is to discuss KoLmafia's support for combat under the effect of Just the Best Anapests (or in the Suburbs of Dis).

In normal combat, we walk through the HTML parse tree of the fight.php response text and attempt to figure out, action by action, what happened from items, familiars, monster actions, whatever, and log it to the session log in the order it happened.

In poetic combat - haiku and, now, anapests - KoL itself has regularized the fight text into verses, with each verse having an optional image in front to tell you what it deals with: a combat item has a picture of the item, a familiar action has a picture of the familiar, muscle substats have a picture, and so on. We use the picture and, perhaps, the verse, to decide what happened and log it to the session log, just as in normal combat.

The goal is to have the session log report everything that a human could deduce, given the HTML text, and update our internal state (inventory, monster health, etc.) as well as possible.

I've just spent the first 3 days of a new ascension with 3 groose greases per day - a total of 450 turns of Just the Best Anapests - seeing how well we do, and fixing things to make life as good as I can under this effect. With the addition of use links to items dropped during poetic combat (revision 10213), I am pleased to say that in general, things are good.

This thread is to report things that are NOT good. I'll add my currently known open issues as replies. If you find anything else, report them here too. Thanks.

Veracity

Developer
Staff member
When your familiar gains a pound, KoL reports it as follows:

(no image)
Your pet just got heavier, fatter and fitter!
It certainly wasn't the runt of the litter!

Edit: Revision 10219

Last edited:

Veracity

Developer
Staff member
When you gain a level, KoL reports it as follows:

(no image)
The tootlers tootle! The singers all sing!
You've accomplished a wonderful, glorious thing!
Come raise a glass high, and come join in the revel!
We're all celebrating! You went up a level!

Edit: Revision 10222

Last edited:

Veracity

Developer
Staff member
When you fight a rampaging adding machine, when you feed it the second scroll, KoL says:

Activating an item caused something to happen!
What? I don't know. I guess you caught me napping.

The enemy leaps to attack you, but misses,
and angrily pouting, glares at you and hisses.

Note that it does NOT saying anything about the item got, unlike other items gained in combat. This is a KoL bug. I have reported it.

Veracity

Developer
Staff member
When you use The Big Book of Pirate Insults on a pirate, KoL says:

Your foe thinks he's going to show you what for,
but the place he attacks -- you aren't there any more.

I really don't expect to see any anapestic report of the insult I used and what the pirate said - although it would be cool if it did! - but, if the insult works, you gain one turn of Embarrassed, as you can tell from the charpane, but the anapests do not mention the effect. KoL DOES have a mechanism to reports gained in combat, as you can tell if you have an ittah bittah hookah equipped: it shows an image of the effect and says something about "you got an effect and should click on the icon to see what it is".

This mechanism did not fire when the pirate makes you Embarrassed. This is a KoL bug. I have reported it.

Veracity

Developer
Staff member
When I attack with a weapon and do bunches of damage, I get the following:

You strike your foe hard with a thing made for fighting --
who knew that violence could be this exciting?

There is a picture of my weapon, and when I hover over it, I see "Damage: 1179"

That is way cool.

When I use a combat item that causes damage, there will a picture of the item and an anapest describing what happened. Here are some examples.

----
(picture of wussiness potion)

(picture of spices)
You hurl a thing that you took from your pack,
and deal 1 points with a thingly attack.

(picture of photoprotoneutron torpedo)
Your foe squints at a thing you hold up to hiss eyes,
and takes 30 points from a poky surprise.

(picture of beer bomb)
You fling a thing with your flinger; it flies at your foe!
64 damage results from the blow!

(picture of beer bomb)
You caused so much pain with that thing from your pack,
that even you winced at the sound of the smack!
---

In none of these cases is there hover text. Sometimes I can figure out how much damage was dealt from the anapest, but sometimes not.

It would be nice if combat items had hover text with "Damage: 76" on it, just as weapon attacks do. I have submitted this suggestion to KoL.

Veracity

Developer
Staff member
When you gain Meat during or after combat, sometimes KoL tells you what you found and sometimes not.

You found 46 meat worth of meat, so there's that.
Perhaps you could purchase a new party hat.

There is a picture of Meat, but no hover text. Here is another Meat gain:

Just look at this meat -- there's too much to count!
How will you spend such a crazy amount?

Again, a picture of Meat, but no hover text.

It would be nice if KoL provided hover text on the Meat image that says something like "Meat: 46". I have submitted this suggestion to KoL.

Veracity

Developer
Staff member
I am willing to bet that fighting Outside the Club and attempting to learn Rave skills and Rave Combos will not work well. I just opened the volcano as a DB at the end of my turns today. I'll spend a turn or two looking at this tomorrow.

(KoL DOES have monster-specific anapests. It's not out of the question that it could have monster + special action specific anapests, but I'm not counting on it for this particular niche case.)

Veracity

Developer
Staff member
What about the Junkyard and gremlins? It would be Way Cool if they had a special anapest for a gremlin pulling out a hammer, say. I'll check it out tomorrow or the day after. I predict that they do not have this. If not, I will suggest that they add it.

(If they DO have special anapests, I will add them to the Gremlin decorator.)

Edit: I have verified that there is nothing special about the gremlins. I submitted the following Bug Report/Suggestion:

I went to the Junkyard while under the Just the Best Anapests effect. I was not surprised to discover that there were no special messages from the gremlins to let me know when I should try to extract the tool from them.

I'd like to suggest that you provide 4 special Anapests to apply when the correct gremlin whips out his tool:

Batwinged gremlin with molybdenum hammer
Erudite gremlin with molybdenum crescent wrench
Spider Gremlin with molybdenum pliers
Vegetable gremlin with molybdenum screwdriver

If you could supply 4 more special Anapests to apply when the INCORRECT gremlin of the appropriate type does his special move which replaces the "whips out his tool" move, that would be gravy, but it's more important to be able to recognize when to try to get the tool than it is to know when you can stop stasising waiting for it. Thanks.
Now we just wait and wait and wait and see if anything comes of this.

Last edited:

Banana Lord

Mafia not recognising putty usage while Just the Best Anapests is active

ED ate or drank [url='http://kol.coldfront.net/thekolwiki/index.php/Just_the_Best_Anapests]something[/url] that gave me Just the Best Anapests today. Mafia doesn't seem to notice when I putty a monster while the effect is active (i.e.: it doesn't update spookyPuttyMonster or spookyPuttyCopiesMade).

Last edited:

Veracity

Developer
Staff member
Surely you could have added this to the "Anapestic Combat" thread that I started - an hour before you submitted this bug report - specifically to discuss exactly this kind of issue?

Merging.

Veracity

Developer
Staff member
FWIW, I submitted a bug report, suggesting how to make The Big Book of Pirate Insults usable while under the Just the Best Anapests effect:

I think there room for additional Content from the Just the Best Anapests effect. I love the way it turns combat into rhyme. There are a few places, however, where it makes the game unplayable. In particular, there are certain items and situations when you need to do something in response to a particular monster action or in which you need to look at the monster's specific response to an action that you do. With Just the Best Anapests, you cannot successfully play the game in those situations.

Consider the process of gathering pirate insults. You have to use The Big Book of Pirate Insults and notice when the pirate comes back with an insult that you don't know. Having done so, that insult will be available for you to use in Insult Beer Pong.

There are 8 insults, each with a specific "successful" response. There are also 5 general "unsuccessful" responses.

In normal combat:

Using The Big Book of Pirate Insults:

You flip open the Big Book of Pirate Insults and pick one at random.
"You're more pathetic than a toothless watchdog!"

Response 1:

The pirate sneers at you and replies "I'm not really comfortable being compared to your girlfriend that way."

Dang, man. That hurts.

You acquire an effect: Embarrassed (duration: 1 Adventure)

Response 2:

The pirate stammers for a moment, finally blurting out "Look, a three-headed monkey!" He turns red with embarrassment.

Monster attack power reduced by 8
Monster defense reduced by 8

Consider what you could do with Anapests:

You find in your book a rude way to compare him
to a neutered hound wholly lacking in vim.

Response 1:

The pirate just sneers and deflects your harsh jeer
by commenting that it applies to your dear.

(the "you got an effect; click the icon" anapest for Embarrassed)

Response 2:

The pirate turns red and responds, oh, so clunky
with a feeble report of a three-headed monkey.

Monster attack power reduced by 8
Monster defense reduced by 8

(Note that if you use a barrrnacle, for example, the "Monster attack power reduced by X" messages are printed, even in Anapestic Combat).

I would love it if you would make it possible to learn pirate insults while under the effect of Just the Best Anapests.

New Content:

8 anapests for the 8 possible insults you can read from the book
13 anapests for the 8 successful and 5 unsuccessful retorts that a pirate can make.

The first 8 retorts get added to your "list of known insults" as always and make you Embarrassed - which you report via anapest.
The other 5 retorts make the pirate embarrassed - which you show in combat, just as you do for the barrrnacle.
We'll see if anything comes of this. If so, I just created/refactored BeerPongRequest in revision 10217 and it will just be a Simple Matter Of Coding to handle aanapestic insults...

Veracity

Developer
Staff member
As expected, stone spheres have no special messages. I am able to deduce which is which, however.

(sphere of fire)
and deal 9 points with a thingly attack.

(sphere of lightning)
and deal 9 points with a thingly attack.

(sphere of nature)

(sphere of water)
You heal a few damage -- not much, I'll admit,
but the hitpoints you've added will help you a bit.

The sphere of nature delevels. KoL did not report that. That would be a KoL bug, and I will report it.

Discerning between the sphere of nature and the sphere of water would be tricky, since both seemingly do nothing, but you have to look at the NEXT anapest to see what really happened.

Veracity

Developer
Staff member
I just submitted the following KoL bug:

Test 1:

I went to the Giant Castle
I saw an Alphabet Giant
I cast CLEESH
It says

You cast CLEESH at your opponent. He turns into a newt.

The monster image on that page is now a newt, labeled "You're fighting a newt"
----------
Test 2:

I used a groose grease and got Just the Best Anapests
I went to the Giant Castle
I saw an Alphabet Giant
I cast CLEESH
It says

You use a skill -- it isn't a damaging one,
but skills don't have to cause pain to be fun.

The monster image on that page is an Alphabet Giant, labeled "You're fighting an Alphabet Giant"

I use a seal tooth
It says:

and deal 1 points with a thingly attack.

The monster image on that page is a salamander, labeled "You're fighting a salamander"
----------
Conclusion:

Using CLEESH while under Just the Best Anapests does not immediately change the monster image to the polymorphed amphibian, unlike using that skill without that effect active. The new monster/image is not shown until the next round.

That looks like a bug.

Veracity

Developer
Staff member
FWIW, I just submitted Yet Another Bug Report. This is purely cosmetic and doesn't affect us, but, they need to know about it.

With Just the Best Anapests, if I cast a spell which does lots of damage, I have seen the following messages:

The magic you launched at your foe overflowed,
and made some of hiss internal organs explode.

and made some of hers internal organs explode.

and made some of itss internal organs explode.

I am pretty sure you do not mean "some of hiss", "some of hers", or "some of itss"; "his", "her", and "its" will do just fine.

Veracity

Developer
Staff member
No surprise: you can't identify bang potions while under Just the Best Anapests. I submitted the following bug report/suggestion to KoL:

I have Just the Best Anapests active.
I funkslung a pair of bang potions: a bubbly potion (of sleepiness) and a murky potion (of teleportitis).
Here's what was reported on my fight page:

You used a thing from your bag, and something happened, I guess!
I can't give you much detail, I must confess.

You used a thing from your bag, and something happened, I guess!
I can't give you much detail, I must confess.

I'm not surprised, but it's a pity. Yet Again, we have an opportunity for some Content.

For each of the 9 bang potions, write a custom Anapest for when they are used in combat so we can tell what's what. For example:

You hurl the bottle and raise quite a stink
The monster now reeks of powerful drink

Which one is that? Duh - the potion of inebriety.

What do you think? Thanks.

Veracity

Developer
Staff member
And another Bug Report:

When I am under the Just the Best Anapests effect, I can damage the monster in various ways.

- With a weapon. The fight text shows the icon of my weapon and a verse. Sometimes the verse contains the amount of damage I did. Sometimes not. In any case, there is hover text on the icon that says "Damage: 123" to tell me what I did.
- With a combat item. The fight text shows the icon of my item and the hover text shows me the name of the item. There is no way to extract, from the icon, what the Damage was.
- With a familiar. The fight text shows my familiar's icon, but no way to get Damage from the icon.
- with a skill. The fight text does not include the skill's icon at all. Instead, we simply see something like:

and made some of hiss internal organs explode.

Suggestion: when we use a combat skill, add the icon of that skill to the fight text (they DO have icons; I can see them when I look up a skill via desc_skill.php.) Add hover text to the icon to say "Damage: 123", say, if it did damage.)

Thanks.

Veracity

Developer
Staff member
ED ate or drank [url='http://kol.coldfront.net/thekolwiki/index.php/Just_the_Best_Anapests]something[/url] that gave me Just the Best Anapests today. Mafia doesn't seem to notice when I putty a monster while the effect is active (i.e.: it doesn't update spookyPuttyMonster or spookyPuttyCopiesMade).
I freed the king and pulled my Spooky Putty sheet.
I got Just the Best Anapests.
I fought a monster and used my Spooky Putty Sheet
Here is the text on the fight page:

I don't want to shock you with depictions of gore,
but you just dripped 1 points worth of blood on the floor.

Notice that it did not give the usual "You acquire a Spooky Putty monster" message - even the Anapestic version.

This is a KoL bug. I will submit a bug report to them about it.