Bug - Won't Fix Festival of Jarlsberg not parsed from main.php, applied on the wrong day

bumcheekcity

I do not have any mana cost mofidiers equipped, using r10179.

Code:
> ash mana_cost_modifier()

Returned: -3

> modtrace mana

sourceStackable Mana CostCombat Mana CostMana Cost

> modtrace mana cost

sourceStackable Mana CostCombat Mana CostMana Cost

This is because KoLmafia thinks it's the Festival of Jarlsberg (which has as an intrinsic -3 mana cost), when it really isn't.

lostcalpolydude

Developer
Staff member
Apparently FoJ dates are in the code somewhere, and that holiday (or lack of) isn't parsed from the main page. Today you can do "holiday Festival of Jarlsberg" to update it. This can only possibly come up once a year, so I'm going to assume "Won't Fix" applies here and make the thread title more accurate (it took me a few minutes to figure out the cause when I first noticed it too).

Veracity

Developer
Staff member
Well, we have it built-in as January 1. Looking at the historical record, we see that it appears on Jarlsuary 1 on the KoL calendar as well as the following Real World dates:

January 2, 2008
January 1, 2009
(April 1, 2009)
January 2, 2010
January 2, 2011
January 2, 2012

Apparently, we equated January 1 == Jarlsuary 1 and concluded that the holiday came on January 1. In fact, for some reason, in 2009, it DID come on that date. Since then, it's been January 2.

I cannot explain 2009, but we may as well put the holiday onto January 2...

xKiv

Speculation: 2009 had jarlsuary 1 on january 1, TPTB probably didn't want FoJ to be on two consecutive days.