Java 64-bit and Kolmafia

icon315

I haven't been able to find any posts about this, but it seems that my Kolmafia is not opening at all, ever since i got 64-bit java installed on my computer.
Anyone know why?

Theraze

What version of mafia are you trying to run? I'm using it just fine on my Win7 with 64-bit, both Java 1.6 and Java 1.7.

fronobulax

Developer
Staff member
It's been working fine for me since Windows 7 came out. If you have updated to Java 7 then perhaps that is the problem. As far as I know no one has actually said that all of the incompatibilities between Java 7 and KoLmafia have been dealt with.

icon315

Update:
I recently got Java update 30. Both 32 and 64 bit versions. This resulted in mafia not working anymore, I went the process of trying of what i did before, but to no avail.

Bale

Minion
I'd recommend that you choose one version. Only use 32-bit or 64-bit. Not both. Make sure it is the correct one.

Theraze

I've been having it work using both, but... I do odd things to my system. Basically, if you have problems, decide which to run (I'd probably suggest 64-bit if you're running that system and don't have a solid reason why you need the 32-bit Java) and try it with just that. If it works, great. If, at that point, you want to load the other and see if it still works, at that point you have a single item you're testing at a time. But I think what we've found is that the problem is something about your installation, not mafia itself or anything that we can directly help you with...

icon315

Yeah, Even though i am on a 64-bit system i decided to use the 32-bit version since mafia actually works on it

fronobulax

Developer
Staff member
Yeah, Even though i am on a 64-bit system i decided to use the 32-bit version since mafia actually works on it

Just to be clear, I'm using
C:\KoLmafia\dist>java -version
java version "1.6.0_20"
Java(TM) SE Runtime Environment (build 1.6.0_20-b02)
Java HotSpot(TM) 64-Bit Server VM (build 16.3-b01, mixed mode)
on Windows 7, x64 and KoLmafia works just fine for me.

Theraze

Also Win 7 x64 here:
C:\kolmafia>java -version
java version "1.7.0_01"
Java(TM) SE Runtime Environment (build 1.7.0_01-b08)
Java HotSpot(TM) 64-Bit Server VM (build 21.1-b02, mixed mode)
64-bit Java 1.7 running just fine with mafia.

fronobulax

Developer
Staff member
How do you do that?

Do what?

Open a command line, and type "java -version". As long as the window is open, change to the directory with your jar file and then type java -jar KoLmafia.jar (or whatever the file is named). If this works then it gives some hints as to what is screwed up on your system.